The Second Watch: The unexpected gift

(Creative Commons)
(Creative Commons)

The Second Watch is a weekly “Game of Thrones” recap column by Focus Editor Erin Yarnall. Read more here

Stannis grapples with the fact that his army is slowly dying from the cold on the way to Winterfell. (Photo courtesy of HBO)

I really thought this would be the episode that Sansa and Theon team up (or as I will refer to him from now on – Reek, because he’s not worthy of being called Theon), and seeing Ramsay’s humiliation in his wife and slave disappear would be the ultimate gift, but of course, I was wrong. If Reek didn’t go to Ramsay, the Stark loyalists in the North would have come to the aid of Sansa, but instead, Reek infuriatingly turned Sansa in to her husband, Ramsay, leading to the death of the Stark loyalist who told Sansa she was not alone. I want to root for Theon, I really want to think he’ll do the right thing in the end by helping Sansa escape, but after this week I don’t know. I thought something might have snapped after being forced to witness Sansa’s rape in last week’s episode, but he might be too brainwashed and terrified to ever leave Ramsay, as he said, “It can always be worse,” in regards to his torture.

As hopes dwindle for Theon, they’re growing for Stannis. I have never cared for Stannis and thought his scenes were boring, but this season, they’ve been some of my favorites. He’s been so determined to become the King since season two, it was a complete shock to see him pick his family over certain success in the battlefield, further advancing his cause to be king. Unfortunately, that probably means he will die soon, as all of his troops are slowly dying, his supplies are dwindling and likeable characters don’t last long in Westeros.

One of the likeable characters that I am assuming is going to meet their end relatively soon is Gilly. In “The Gift,” she was almost raped by two members of the Night’s Watch. At the last minute, Sam steps in and attempts to stop it, but is knocked out, and both Gilly and Sam are ultimately saved by Ghost, Jon’s direwolf, who is arguably the best character in “Game of Thrones.” Although it’s refreshing to see Sam step in and try to help Gilly against her potential rapists tonight (especially compared to last week’s episode in which Reek watched as Sansa was raped by Ramsay, which led to many viewers abandoning the show), it’s frustrating to watch Gilly be victimized only for “Game of Thrones” to highlight the growing bravery in Sam. He’s a much braver man than the snivelling boy crying on the ground we saw in season one, the showrunners don’t need to be putting Gilly in harm to prove that Sam’s bravery has grown.

Cersei expresses her motherly love for Tommen. (Photo courtesy of HBO)

While this episode had frustrating scenes, it also featured two scenes at the end of the episode that left me eager. After smirking about the arrest of the Tyrells for the past few episodes, Cersei is arrested for her crimes by the High Sparrow at the end of “The Gift.” As much as I’ve grown to love the powerful woman Cersei is, seeing her smug grin from visiting the imprisoned Margaery get instantaneously wiped off when she is thrown into her own cell was gratifying. After seasons of watching Cersei do whatever she wants with little consequence (well, besides the deaths of her son and father), it’s going to be interesting to see what happens to her, and especially what Tommen will potentially try to do about it.

The ultimate gift of this episode was the titular gift, Tyrion, being given to Daenerys Targaryen. Her meeting any main character from Westeros is thrilling, as it has taken five seasons for this to happen, but the thought of Daenerys with Tyrion helping her gives the impression that she will be unstoppable once her and her army are able to actually enter Westeros, and finally leave Meereen. Unfortunately, this probably means Jorah will die soon, as it seems his main purpose within the show was to bring these two characters. I hope he and Daenerys can find peace before this happens.

Kill, Marry, Screw, Prediction

Kill: Maester Aemon, one of Jon Snow’s only true supporters left at the Night’s Watch passed away this episode, from intensely old age. In the books, he was significantly over 100 years old. His death also leaves Daenerys as truly the only Targaryen left in the world of the television show. In a terrifyingly graphic scene, Ramsay showed Sansa that the Stark loyalist who reassured her she was not alone in the North had been captured and flayed, reminding her that she has no allies after last week’s brutal and horrifying episode. Numerous slaves died in the fighting pits in an attempt to impress Daenerys, but Jorah was the ultimate victor.

Marry: n/a

Screw: Littlefinger has a plan against everyone. Who even knows what he’s up to, but while he’s alive no one is safe.

Prediction: The Night’s Watch is slowly but surely turning on their reluctant Lord Commander, Jon Snow, especially after he just left to help to Wildlings. When he returns to the Wall, Sam and Gilly will either be gone or dead, especially after one of Maester Aemon’s last words to Gilly, which was to get her baby south. This will leave Jon with no supporters left at the wall, and he’s going to have to leave, or die.