Review: The Weeknd – “Beauty Behind the Madness”

Photo courtesy of theweeknd.com
Album Cover of the Weeknd’s “Beauty Behind the Madness.”  Photo courtesy of theweeknd.com

Whether you’ve been blasting the summer’s #1 hit, “Can’t Feel My Face” in your car, through your headphones or rocking it at karaoke night, it’s a song that has you singing, “I can’t feel my face when I’m with you, but I love it, but I love it,” over and over again.

But Canadian artist Abel Tesfaye, also known as The Weeknd, shows a much more vulnerable side to his artistry with “Beauty Behind the Madness.” His soulful, hip-hop and indie rock sound, when mixed together with producers Kanye West and Illangelo’s creative composure, create a melodic symphony of emotions and art. Tesfaye takes listeners on a personal journey, introducing them to a deeper villainous side of him. Showing a not so angelic look at his inner personal struggles and battles through fourteen-tracks of storytelling, well crafted sounds and realism.

Tesfaye begins the album with a preface, a sense of re-introducing himself as an artist to listeners. His first track, “Real Life,” begins with him pulling inspiration from Michael Jackson’s “Billy Jean,” and incorporating his life into it in the lyrics, “I know you don’t really understand it, I’m not allowed to regret my choices, I heard that love is a risk worth taking.”  Tesfaye even brings on some familiar voices, like Lana Del Rey (“Prisoner”), Ed Sheeran (“Dark Times”) and Labrinth (“Loser”) to preform on the album to paint an even grander picture.

There’s few topics Tesfaye leaves out of this album, as he candidly talks about events and influences of his past and how they have impacted his future. From dropping out of school at 17, which he talks about in “Loser,” to his addictions which he paints a vivid picture in “Tell Your Friends,” nothing is left to the imagination and allows listeners to feel, connect and embrace.

The last track of the album “Angel” is not only the perfect song to close the album with, but also the perfect song to keep listeners wanting more. His soulful voice, and alternative rock instrumental gives a sense of intensity that gives you that drastic ending to a story. He instills a sense of overcoming struggle, while keeping his eyes on his goals, “And even though we live inside a dangerously empty life, you always seem to bring the light.”