Fantasy football fever gets bigger

field goalBeer, buffalo wings, friendly conversation and a healthy dose of smack talk — all the makings for a fantasy football league.

Fantasy football leagues consist of friends getting together and choosing individual players for their dream team; often times with an obvious bias for their favorite players and teams. After the initial teams are made, trade proposals, last-minute waiver wire pickups and trash-talking ensue.

Football has always been central to American culture, but recently it is becoming even more popular because of the emergence of daily fantasy leagues, such as FanDuel and DraftKings, in which you can win big money. These daily fantasy leagues are similar to online poker, in which players choose how much money to “buy-in” — generally referred to as entries — the type of draft (snake, salary cap, etc.) and also the size of the pool.

Now just how much is big money? Enough to quit your day job? Maybe even enough to drop out of school?

According to Business Insider, Alex from Ft. Worth invested $300 to play in 2011, and a year and a half later he had made $95,000. Alex is not a college student, but a married, 34-year-old man with two children. Although he still has a day job, fantasy sports are his primary source of income.

Although Alex’s success story sounds extraordinary ­— and is to a certain extent — he is definitely not alone. According to the Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA), this year there are 56.8 million people in the United States and Canada playing fantasy sports, with an overwhelming 73 percent reporting that their favorite fantasy sport is football.

While these recent numbers are impressive, fantasy football has not always been this popular.

In 2009, the total number of fantasy players in U.S.and Canada was 28.4 million. However, this number has doubled in the last 6 years with the emergence of FanDuel and DraftKings. With their billion dollar advertising campaign and their stand-alone mobile applications ­— 37 percent of fantasy players primarily use their mobile device to execute trades — it is not surprising why these two companies are so successful.

The demographics of the average player are even more interesting. The FSTA reports that 66 percent of fantasy players are male, while 34 percent are female. The average age of a fantasy player is 37 years old, with over half having a college degree and just under half (47 percent) having a household income of $75,000 or more.

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 2.50.45 PMThough fantasy football is largely a male dominated space, the New York Times reports, “a surge of women are grabbing the ball as well.” Citing the FTSA, the number of women playing fantasy football in the United States and Canada has more than doubled since 2007, to 8.3 million in 2014. With all-female leagues, the competition is not any less intense. According to CBS News, “female fans of the NFL now represent the fastest-growing demographic in sports.”

Fantasy leagues come with a pricetag, especially for long-term players. The FSTA averages that fantasy sports players 18 and older spend $465 each year on fantasy leagues, $257 of which is for daily fantasy leagues, $162 for traditional league-related costs and $46 on league-related materials and insider information.

With expensive buy-ins, how do college students afford to play in serious leagues?

Kamil Strycharz, a marketing major at DePaul, does not participate in fantasy football just for the money. His favorite part of fantasy football is the “fun, dignity and the right to trash talk (his) friends.”

“After ending the season with one of the worst records, I knew I had to regain my dignity by doing better next season.”

Kamil Strycharz,

DePaul student

Money is clearly not Strycharz’s motivation, as last year he managed to only lose $50, one spot away from winning his money back. This year, Strycharz’s profits stand at $19 so far.

Strycharz’s preferred method of managing his fantasy team differs according to the type of league. For season long leagues, he prefers to use ESPN, and for one week leagues, he prefers FanDuel.

While fantasy football leagues can last long durations, a player’s fate is decided at the start of the season draft day. “I make my team based on who will do the best,” Strycharz said.

Pazzo’s Bar and Grill, located next to the DePaul Center on the Loop Campus, is a prime location for watching  fantasy football. With a futuristic beer pong table, leather couches and a fully loaded bar, football fans can get comfortable and prepare to stay for awhile.

Pazzo’s is equipped with an NFL DirectTV Sports Package, giving any fantasy football player the chance to check up on all their players.

Jay Hudson, the head bartender at Pazzo’s, said the package provides more options for the customer.

“We’ve had a lot of groups come in and do their fantasy draft here while the live draft is going on,” Hudson said.

Although fantasy football has been around for quite some time, the daily fantasy leagues and trendy nature of the sport have caused it to reach its tipping point, and now it is sweeping the nation.

According to the FSTA, 14 percent of the entire nation is somehow involved in fantasy sports, with the majority participating in fantasy football. Even though money is definitely a motivation, 61 percent avowed that they are watching more live sports because of fantasy, and 60 percent say they read more about sports because of fantasy.

While it may seem that you have to be an expert in football to participate in a fantasy league, ESPN’s First Timer’s Guide gives anyone the necessary knowledge to be able to participate. Detailing league sizes to draft and scoring methods, the guide breaks down barriers for those who are intimated by following the long football season.

For experts and beginners, the competition is fierce in fantasy football. With bragging rights and money on the line it is important to have a strong, consistent team.

If your fantasy team is struggling this year, attempt to make trades with others in your league. Experimenting with different line-ups can also help, but watch out for player injuries and off time.

For those who do not fair well in their league this season, realize that every year is a chance for redemption.

“After ending the season with one of the worst records,” Strycharz said. “I knew I had to regain my dignity by doing better next season.”

With your personal reputation on the line, fantasy football culture has become a culture of pride and ultimately, luck.