Post-Thanksgiving recipe: Fancy(ish) Ramen

Fancy(ish) Ramen

I love Thanksgiving.

Let me repeat: I love, love, LOVE Thanksgiving.

Seriously, just hook me up to a gravy IV.

This, however, clearly is not a Thanksgiving recipe. This is more of a “returning to your apartment post-family holiday feast to find nothing in your cabinets” type of dish. It’s when you realize turkeys and mashed potatoes don’t quite fit the busy student’s cooking schedule. It can also be for those with sprained wrists from all the gravy-whisking, turkey lifting, potato mashing action that comes with T-Day.

But the cold, hard reality of packaged Ramen doesn’t have to smack you across the face quite so hard. A little green onion, shake of sesame seeds, fried egg, and swirl of hot sriracha sauce almost makes you want to stick a pinky out. And it takes about 1/50th of the time that preparing a Thanksgiving meal requires.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! And please, forget the diet on Thanksgiving. Don’t let the terrorists win, bros.

Fancy(ish) Ramen Serves: 1

• 1 egg
  • 1 package Ramen noodles
  • 1 small green onion, sliced
  • 1/2 t. sesame seeds
  • Sriracha sauce, to taste.

1.) Boil Ramen according to package directions. Pour in half the seasoning packet and discard the remaining powder. Set aside.

2.) Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add a bit of butter and crack the egg into the skillet. Sprinkle with a pinch of pepper. Cook until the white is almost set, then add a teaspoon of water and cover. Cook until white sets and yolk is still runny, about 30 seconds.

3.) Pour noodles into a serving bowl. Top with the fried egg, green onion, sesame seeds, and sriracha.