Make the most of winter break in Chicago

CATW_2015_GrandTree_012
Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light (Photo courtesy of Museum of Science and Industry)

DePaul’s winter break is earlier than most universities because of the quarter system, making it difficult to catch up with old friends. Although, there are benefits to having winter break span from Thanksgiving to New Years. The main benefit being, the ability to fully experience the holiday season without the stress of school. An even better benefit if you are staying in the city—being able to experience the holiday season in Chicago where the holiday spirit can be felt on every decorated street corner, slippery skate rink and peppermint flavored drink. Though meeting up with friends from high school may not be an option and the temptation to binge watch the entire series of “Friends” once more will be strong, there are plenty of festivals, shows and events in Chicago to keep a DePaul student busy over the long, six-week winter break and it is important to take advantage of them.

Christkindlmarkt

Every Friday Through Dec. 24 | Daley Plaza

Following traditions from the original Christkindlmarkt in Nuremburg, Germany with a Chicago twist, you can find food, music and the holiday spirit at this weekly festival (not to mention delicious hot chocolate).

Lycée French Market

Dec. 4-6 | Children’s Pavilion

French traditions will also be represented in Chicago this holiday season, Dec. 4 through the 6 the eleventh annual Lycée French Market will take place at the Children’s Pavilion. There will be French food, beverages and live entertainment.

Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light Exhibit

Nov.19- Jan. 3 | Museum of Science and Industry

Encompassing traditions from across the globe, the Museum of Science and Industry will be showcasing an exhibit called Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light. The exhibit opened on Nov. 19 and will close Jan. 3. Here, one can enjoy an array of Christmas trees decorated by volunteers from Chicago’s ethnic communities along with different musical performances.

Ugly Sweater 5k Run/Walk

Dec. 12 | Soldier Field

In order to help the less fortunate in developing countries and to combat all of the sugary goodness that comes hand in hand with the holidays, there will be an Ugly Sweater 5k Run/Walk on Dec. 12. It will raise money for Save The Children, an organization that provides relief and support for children in developing countries.  Afterwards, there will be an after-party at Soldier field where one can enjoy an unlimited supply of hot chocolate as well as entertainment and contests.

Caroling Performances

Every Friday Through Dec. 18 | Millennium Park

Following that, at the Millennium Bean on every Friday through Dec. 18, there will be caroling by various choral groups in Chicago. Everyone is welcome to sing along, listen and contribute to the holiday spirit that Chicago is filled with.

Ice Skating

Now Through March 6 | McCormick Ice Rink 

Near the Bean is the McCormick Ice Rink that will be open through March 6. This rink is a great place for beginners and families to skate. Skate rentals are ten dollars, while use of the rink is free.

Now Until March | Maggie Daley Park

For more seasoned skaters there is the Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon, which will close sometime in March 2016. Taking place in Maggie Daley Park, skate rentals are twelve dollars and the ice rink is a bit more difficult than that at The Bean, with inclines and declines and a track-like atmosphere.

Zoolights 

Select Dates From Nov. 27- Jan. 3 | Lincoln Park Zoo

In addition to the skating rinks, there are some festivals that last throughout the entire holiday season. This includes ZooLights at the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is a free lights festival with holiday craft making, ice carving and visits from Clause.

Winter Wonderfest

Dec. 4- Jan. 10 | Navy Pier

There is Winter Wonderfest at Navy Pier, open from Dec. 4 through Jan. 10, which will have holiday inspired rides, attractions and entertainment.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas”

Now Through Jan. 3 | Chicago and Emerald City Theatre

Not to mention, “A Charlie Brown Christmas” will be showing at Chicago and Emerald City Theatre through Jan. 3.

While it would be very easy to slip into binge watching sessions on Netflix and to catch up on all of the sleep that finals week took away, there are many events around Chicago that should be taken advantage of over winter break. After all, what better time to be in the city than the holiday season itself? So grab some friends from school, ditch the TV and enjoy all that Chicago has to offer.