Review: Muse: Drones World tour at the United Center

MUSE_20
(Photo by Roxane Pahldad / The DePaulia)

Ever wondered what a ménage à trois between music, art and technology would be like? Well. Muse’s Drones World Tour, which took place at the United Center on Jan. 13, was exactly that and then some.

In the center of the massive arena stood a massive stage, replicating what looked like the base of a space craft, complete with a rotating stage. The unique set up allowed the fans to enjoy a non-traditional 360 view, all while allowing the band to move freely from end to end.

Muse began the show with “Psycho,” off their album “Drones,” the high intensity of Matt Bellamy’s guitar solo meshed in with Dominic Howard drumming and Christopher Wolstenholme bass skills had a majority of the crowd on their feet soon into the band’s set.

They quickly rolled into another track off Drones, “Dead Inside” and then into “Interlude” off “Absolution.” The hypnotic sounds of their music mixed well with the visuals that were synced to each song, which became just as impactful as the music. “Hysteria,” “Uprising” and “Map of the Problematique” visuals were full of life just on their own, the 3D of the artistic imagery made the crowd experience each song on a much deeper level.

Bellamy’s artistic and political views were clearly present throughout the show. As an artist, Bellamy is one of the unique musicians that takes music and makes it into more than just a sound, but something that can he heard, felt and seen all at once. It’s basically moving artwork.

From 3D projected videos on to sheer screens, to the The “Reaper” Drone, making its way around the area, to confetti filled black balloons and streamer canons. Every song that Muse performed had a corresponding presentation that went along with it.

The life-like robotic puppetry during “The Handler” was rather an intense moment in the show, the technological interaction that was experienced between both the band and crowed was interesting. However, the best part of the show was the killer intro of Jimi Hendrix Experience’s “Voodoo Child” before rolling into “Supermassive Black Hole” and “Prelude.” There is nothing like enjoying a long and beautiful instrumental solo.

From guitar solos to drum and bass duets, what they were doing on stage was mesmerizing. Its as if everything stood still as the crowed floated into a black hole.

The night ended with an extended version of “Knights of Cydonia,” all while confetti and streamers masked the venue and fans, marking a rather bittersweet ending to a beautiful and surreal night of music in Chicago.