Paul McCartney show at Wrigley a grand slam

Sir Paul McCartney took to the stage — or the outfield, that is — this past weekend at Wrigley Field for the last two performances of his “On the Run” summer tour, both of which were sold out, and proved at the age of 69 he still has it.

Two jumbo-tron screens illuminated a sea of heads on the baseball field on either side of the stage, which allowed everyone in the stadium to see one of the world’s most popular rock stars, no matter how bad their seats were.

The former Beatle played a few of the songs from his repertoire as a solo artist, including his most recent hit “Dance Tonight.” But, he stuck mainly to old Fab Four classics, as well as some of his hits with Wings.

The 69-year-old musician proved he still has the talent and agility he had in his early days by playing over 30 songs in a row, for three hours straight, without a single set break. On Monday night he played 25 Beatles songs, including favorites “Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da,” “Hey Jude” and “Eleanor Rigby.”

McCartney and his band also covered John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance” and an instrumental tease of Jimmy Hendrix’s “Foxy Lady” to fade out of “Let Me Roll It.”

The two Chicago shows proved that Paul McCartney’s still got it — voice, skills on the guitar, stage presence, and all. It seems as if it may be at least another decade before he retires from the music circuit.