Chris Pine relates to hero in ‘The Finest Hours’

(Photo courtesy of The Finest Hours OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE)

Disney’s first release since the massively successful “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is a historical disaster drama based on a true story, “The Finest Hours,” which opened on Jan. 25.

The film is about the true-life story of the biggest small boat rescue attempt in Coast Guard rescue history in 1952, and is based on “The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Most Daring Sea Rescue” by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman.

A young four-member crew is assigned to fight Mother Nature as they attempt to rescue more than 30 stranded crewmen of the SS Fort Mercer and SS Pendleton, which were destroyed by winter winds and waves.

Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) and his team must endure a dangerous life-claiming blizzard in order to save Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) and his oil tanker crew.

With the crew members doubting their survival, a successful return seems unlikely with the frigid temperature and 70-foot high waves.

Pine plays a Coast Guard captain who knows he’s been sent on a suicide mission but solemnly keeps his composure for the sake of his men and the mission.

Supporting cast members playing part of the crew are Ben Foster, Kyle Gallner and John Magaro.

The supporting actors portrays ultimate loyalty on screen for Pine as they embark on a mission they know they might not return from.

While viewers hold their breath to see if they make it back, Pine’s fiancée Miriam (Holliday Grainger)  also anxiously awaits for his return.

This historical retelling is told by a 1950s old-fashioned style of characters.

Casey Affleck portrays a forced leader who must rise to save his oil ship crew. Often a scene stealer, Affleck captures the honest demeanor of a humble needed leader.

With heavy character development between the stellar cast members, the audience is truly invested in the performances and in the unbelievable real life actions that the Coast Guard and oil tanker crew members faced during the harsh blizzard.

“Just by being alive people have felt not a part of the group or not liked, or feel like they don’t have friends, or don’t have as many friends as they want, or feeling out of place. I certainly saw that in Bernie,” Pine said in a phone interview with The DePaulia on the personal struggles his character overcame that he related to.

Heroic action roles are normal for Pine, with roles like Captain Kirk in the recent reboots of the Star Trek franchise and Jack Ryan in “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.”

In “The Finest Hours,” Pine’s overcoming heroism is done not by CGI but pure will power.

“I guess in our tiny ways, being in the film business is hard enough. There’s a lot of love involved obviously for the incredible amount of rejections.” Pine said about relating to Bernie.

“That’s the great thing we get to do as actors. Even though I’ll never know what it’s really like to be a Coast Guardsmen, or what it’s like to go against 70-foot waves with zero visibility, and what it’s like to rescue men off a split oil tanker, there’s a certain kind of general human emotions and feelings that you can attach to and bring your own experience to.”