Electric Forest: Festival impresses Rothbury fans

Consider what you know about an electric fence and electric chair. An electric dog collar, even. Using those context clue-reading skills standardized testing taught you so well, you may read an electric forest as terrifyingly “Saw VI”-like. Luckily, with water parks and dancing rampantly available, the Electric Forest Music Festival is more so in the “Electric Avenue” category (assuming you find Eddy Grant’s ’80s hit less torturous than the former mentioned electrics; no judgment if you don’t.)

The weekend-long, Rothbury, MI summer music fest may sound more familiar by its former moniker: Rothbury Festival. Since 2008, with the exception of Rothbury’s cancellation last year, the fest has operated under the concepts of sustainability and environmental friendliness. Electric Forest is no different than its predecessor in that regard, as if the inclusion of the word “Forest” in the title was any indication. But changes have been made to the four-day festival to warrant the new words printed on the backs of the souvenir tees: that petty little thing called the lineup.

Rothbury broadcasted itself as a “jam band” festival. Think Dave Matthews (sorry for making you do that.) Electric Forest switched gears to something much more current, not to mention, I don’t know, less miserable? The new-named fest is setting itself apart as an electronic music festival. Instead of 311 and Slightly Stoopid, Electric Forest will highlight the dubby steps of Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Skrillex and Kaskade among so many others.

But it’s hard to shed all your skin at once, no? The Rothbury mourners won’t have to be all tears June 30 through July 3; some jammy headliners are still clinging on to the Michigan fest’s new and possibly improved bill. Electric Forest fronts its lineup with The String Cheese Incident and sprinkles in REO Speedwagon, Stephen Marley, Kyle Hollingsworth Band and the slightly random but definitely worthy Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.

As with most of the summer music festivals in recent history, the side attractions rival the main stage entertainment at Electric Forest. Not like that’s such a terrible thing. As you might have gathered, the festival is set in a forest, the heart of which is called The Sherwood Forest (the question of the festival’s Robin Hood connection is so far unanswered). Here, you can evade sunburn by napping in a shaded hammock or peeking at the art installations during the day. Sundown will usher in light shows, surprise performances and parties between the trees. Mosquitoes may or may not be some of the surprise guests.

Although the normal, festival-goer thing to do seems to be the camping route, the festival has lodges available as part of a VIP-type ticket package. But you don’t need a hotel key to get at the 60,000 square-foot water park in the lodge a shuttle ride away from the festival grounds.

Big Wildcat Lake might be Electric Forest’s most enticing sideshow. Think general, awesome summer stuff with live music attached: a lakeshore beach, barbecues, sand volleyball, swimming. Apart from the beach, Electric Forest let’s you try horseback riding too, because, why not? In the summer music festival game, it’s all about the one-up. Electric Forest is giving a solid effort toward one-upping the former Rothbury.

In any case, the connotation pegged to Electric Forest seems to have already outdone the one attached to the electric slide.