Spring into cinema: Movies to check out this quarter

Well, DePaul students, we are in our final quarter and the weather is starting to warm up. But the weather isn’t the only thing that’s heating up. The box office will start releasing popular films with summer only a few months away. Here is a short list of some well-known films that will be hitting the box office this Spring Quarter.

April 19

Oblivion: In this action/adventure sci-fi film starring the Tom Cruise, a veteran soldier is sent to a distant planet to destroy the remains of an alien race that decimated the Earth. Little does Cruise know that his venture to destroy these aliens will unravel the truth about himself, his planet and his mission.

Scary Movie 5: This is the latest installment of the Scary Movie franchise, which began in the late ’90s with the lampooning of ‘Scream.’ The film is set to lampoon the ‘Paranormal Activity’ series and will have guest appearances by Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen.

May 3

Iron Man 3: Phase Two of the Marvel Universe’s film releases begins with the third installment of Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. is back to defeat another villain. This time, his enemy The Mandarin goes to extraordinary lengths not only disrupt society, but Tony Stark’s personal life as well.

May 10

The Great Gatsby: Who can forget this classic modern lit book that we all had to read in high school? Leonardo DiCaprio plays the most mysterious and extravagant man in New York City, Gatsby. Viewers should expect spectacular visuals and an enthralling plot that represents the time of growing opulence and the loosening of morals in the early 1920s.

May 15

Star Trek Into Darkness: This is the next installment of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek series. This time, the action and drama has tripled, as an unknown and sinister force has destroyed the Starfleet and is creating havoc on Earth. Abrams has produced notable films in the past, so I won’t be surprised if this film receives favorable reviews from critics.

May 24

The Fast and the Furious 6: Any car freak or woman obsessed with “The Rock” should definitely check out the latest film in this series that started in the early 2000s. This film picks up where the fifth installment left off and is set in South America.

The Hangover Part III: The Wolfpack is back! Despite the mixed reviews and clich?