St. Vincent DeJamz 10-21-13

Something about fall makes me want to listen to music equally as dramatic as the weather, so I compiled a list of songs perfect for the part.

1. “Jesus Christ” by Brand New – Sure, this track often gets all the mainstream attention when it comes to Brand New, but it’s understandable why. Frontman Jesse Lacey invites you into the dark corners of his mind to relate his deeply personal and honest thoughts on death and afterlife in this hauntingly beautiful composition of lyrics and music.

2. “No Surprises” by Radiohead – What’s so great about this song is everything. Really, everything. From Thom Yorke’s cynical musings to the strikingly soothing melody, this song represents one of music’s greatest moments.

3. “Otherside” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Fences – I didn’t think I could like any song of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ as much as I love “Thrift Shop,” but then I heard this song. It’s an eloquent and unforgettable tale of battling drug addiction set against the backdrop of dramatic beats and mystical sounds.

4. “The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel – The disturbing images conjured up by lyrics like, “And the people bowed and prayed / to the neon god they made” are remarkably offset by the more uplifting guitar riffs. I find this ’60s smash hit to be the perfect accessory to any gloomy fall day.

5. “Riptide” by Vance Joy -What’s a fall playlist without a charming folk song to swoon over? This hit-worthy tune from Australian singer-songwriter James Keogh is as mesmerizing as scrolling through all those artsy Instagram posts of fallen leaves and rain puddles.

6. “4 Chords of the Apocalypse” by Julian Casablancas – When Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas ventured out on his own, he created a lot of experimental tracks that often mixed retro sounds with futuristic ones. This one in particular is a fusion of blues, soul and cymbal-crashing loudness.