Big East women’s basketball tournament: No. 7 Creighton runs through No. 10 Providence 70-53

A strong first quarter was matched by a strong fourth quarter for No. 7 Creighton, and it was enough to overcome two lackluster quarters in between as the Bluejays defeated No. 10 Providence 70-53.

Creighton’s Audrey Faber led the game with 16 points. while Clara Che for the Friars had 14 to led the team.

It looked like Creighton was going to make quick work of the Friars in the weekend’s opening matchup in the Big East women’s basketball tournament. It took until there was 2:44 left in the first quarter for Providence to get their first bucket. Meanwhile, the Bluejays had raced out to a 15-0 lead and looked to be comfortable as the quarter ran down. They led 21-7 at the end of the quarter.

The second half featured a much better effort from Providence as turned the game on its head. On the backs of a 21-12 run going into the half, the Friars closed the gap from a 14 point deficit to a five point deficit. Creighton’s Jade Owens led the game with 12 points while the Friars were team-led by Clara Che and Jovana Nogic, each with eight.

The second half started with Providence getting as close as two points within Creighton but the Bluejays held firm and starting to swing the momentum the other way. With a buzzer beating lay-in by Mc McGrory, the Bluejays went out to a 52-43 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The fourth quarter was a mirror to the first quarter as Creighton pulled away. They kept increasing their lead throughout the quarter and the work they started in the first was completed in the fourth as they pulled out the 70-53 win. Next up for the Blue Jays is No. 2 Villanova, whom they’ll take on at noon tomorrow.