Novelist and philosopher speaks on black America, education

Noted novelist and philosopher in the studies of African intellectual history Kwame Anthony Appiah spoke to a crowd of nearly 600 students and professors at DePaul on March 29. Sponsored by the Institute of Daisaku Ikeda Studies, Appiah lectured on the topic of “Education for Global Citizenship and the Crisis Facing Black America.”

His subject arose after witnessing the injustice and segregation displayed in modern America towards African-Americans throughout the country. He began by raising the theory that “the United States is a political place of strangers” and that the question is whether or not it is possible to live in harmony despite the differences between these strangers.

“Relations between citizens have to be relations between strangers,” said Appaiah, who currently teaches law in New York.

This raised the theory and meaning of cosmopolitism, an ideology based in community and inclusivity.

In his argument of how cosmopolitism is the most effective in addressing the injustice in America, he referenced the many countries and civilizations that have pursued unity in the past. Groups from varying ethnical backgrounds appeared to work better together if they worked and communicated within the same circumstances.

“We should be encouraging young people to go abroad, and work and study with young people of other nations and inviting young people of other nations to come and study here,” he said.

His argument also included how cosmopolitism can be approached despite disapproval, which is to have acceptance with or without understanding. Following this theory, he used an episode from the British television series, “Skins,” in which the father of a Muslim child expressed his acceptance of the child’s friend being a homosexual without “abandoning his belief” but decides to “put it aside” to embrace that which is most important: his son’s birthday.

Relating to the issue of black injustice, Appiah stated that the first step towards a cosmopolitan resolution is to admit that there is a problem.

“Too few American verdicts and politicians have had the necessary conversations with people in the neighborhoods devastated in this process,” he said.

In the closing remarks, he added that as long as there is a will to address the issue of injustice, there will be progress with conversation and acceptance despite differences.

“Just as we cannot be good citizens of the world if we are not in conversation with other nations, ” he said. “We cannot be good citizens with our countries if we are not in conversation with one another.”