Chicago Craft Beer Week

Chicago Craft Beer Week, or CCBW, is kicking off its third year this weekend. Beginning Thursday, May 17 and ending Sunday, May 27, the 10 -day event features nearly 200 participating venues in and around the city. Each participating venue offers special tastings of local and national craft beers and rare brews from around the world for only $4 each.

So comb your mustache and hop on your fixie, the theme this year is “Chicago: A City of Neighborhoods.” Bars and restaurants all over the city are encouraging beer-lovers to travel outside their home neighborhoods.

All you need is a lanyard and a map, both of which are free and available at several venues. Check the website for more details. Go to as many venues as you want, the specials will be available all 10 days.

There’s also a game and a prize: Collect stickers as you go along; if you get at least two stickers from venues in six neighborhoods and if you are lucky enough to have a ticket to the Revolution Brewing Grand Opening party, May 25, you become a VIP guest and can get in an hour early (at 4 p.m.). Tickets are sold out, so there’s no real point to try if you don’t already have one, but it’s totally worth it if you do.

Wondering what types of beers will be offered? Here are a few popular ones: Two Brothers Domaine DuPage and Cane & Ebel, Bell’s Oberon, Revolution Anti Hero IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Half Acre Daisy Cutter, Metropolitan Flywheel Bright Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Sixpoint Bengali Tiger, 5 Rabbit Golden Ale, Goose Island Green Line, Three Floyds Alpha King, Avery IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Ommegang Witte, and many more.

Venues in and around Lincoln Park such as aliveOne, Goose Island, Lincoln Station, Local Option, McGee’s, Stanley’s, and The River Shannon are participating. And Chicago isn’t the only place cherishing craft beer; the entire country is joining in because this year CCBW coincides with American Craft Beer Week (May 14-20).

Break out the old beer dictionary so you can pretentiously use correct terminology while sampling. Use words like “astringency,” “grainy,” “dry-hopped,” “mouth feel,” “lace” and “head retention” to fit in. Or just sit there with your mouth shut and enjoy the offerings. It’s your choice.