‘Doom’ video game reboot disappointing

The classic science-fiction shooter “Doom” will return on May 13 with a fourth installation to the series headed to next generation consoles and PC. The original 1993 shooter is regarded as one of the most influential games in history as it introduced gamers to the first-person shooter as well ushered in the era of 3D graphics.

“Doom” was also the first game to have multiplayer where players connect to a common server and compete against one another in action-packed combat.

As a result, it is easy to imagine the massive following of fans who are anticipating the launch of a new game to the classic series. However, after playing the beta this past weekend for the newest installment this reboot felt unnecessary and forgettable.

First, the beta included two game modes that really offered nothing distinct from other first-person shooters. In the first mode, Warpath, players fought for control of territory as it moved throughout the map. The second game type included in the beta was the classic Team Deathmatch that “Doom” introduced to the world in its earlier titles. This game type has become the bread and butter of every multiplayer shooter to follow in its footsteps.

However, instead of owning their classic game mode, “Doom” seems to have fallen behind with repetitive combat and little emphasis on strategy. In fact, much of the time I spent in the beta involved unsuccessfully back peddling away from the hoards of gamers who resorted to using the overpowered double-barreled shotgun.

The weapon options in the beta also fell short due to issues with damage balancing. Initially, I was excited to see some creative elements in guns like the Static Cannon, which builds up an electrical charge and deals more damage based on the amount players moved between shots. The Vortex Rifle also offered a new twist on the classic sniper rifle as it increased in damage the longer a player aimed down the sights. But to my disappointment, both of these weapons faded into the background due to their inability to match the power of both the Super Shotgun and Rocket Launcher.

Despite some glaring disappointments, “Doom’s” beta provides a small glimmer of hope through a couple of successes. The first was the game’s Demon Ruins, which allows players to transform into a giant monster complete with a jet pack and rocket launchers upon activation.

Wielding the sheer destructive power of this demon was immensely satisfying, as well as watching enemies running away in fear.

The cinematic melee takedowns were another highlight. These short first-person action sequences were both fluid and grotesquely mesmerizing proving that the “Doom” franchise still masters the art of carnage.

A final success was the overall gameplay experience. “Doom” delivered its promise of high intensity and fast-paced action. Combat also felt very polished with smooth movements and aiming. It also provided some exhilarating close-quarters moments, especially when chaining kills together.

Despite these successes the game’s multiplayer is currently a far cry from a triumphant return. It simply does not compete with current first-person shooters like “Star Wars: Battlefront,” “Call of Duty: Black Ops III” and “Halo 5” that all have found their distinct niches in multiplayer gaming.

As a result, “Doom” seems to have lost its edge as a pioneer and is as out of place in today’s market as a 30-year-old at a high school party.