“Mud” brings strong performances in shadow of summer films

Lackluster films often characterize the spring. The barrage of Oscar-worthy pieces has come to a halt, but audiences are not yet inundated with fun summer flicks. There is a fascinating film currently hiding in the shadows of blockbusters like “The Great Gatsby” and “Iron Man,” though, that provides a delightful divergence from this season’s movie mediocrity. From writer and director Jeff Nichols comes “Mud,” a unique tale of friendship, adventure and coming of age. 

The movie chronicles the lives of two young boys named Ellis (Tye Sheridan) and Neckbone (Jacob Lofland) living on the banks of Arkansas. When the boys travel to a small island, they discover a mysterious boat that has been suspended in a tree by a storm. The greater mystery, though, is the rough and colorful man named Mud (Matthew McConaughey) who inhabits it. The boys are fascinated by his peculiarity and soon become entangled in a dangerous and convoluted plot to reunite Mud with his beautiful girlfriend, Juniper (Reese Witherspoon). The chaos that ensues paints a story of friendship and growing up that is captivating, hilarious and heart-wrenching.

Visually, “Mud” is stunning. Its raw scenery and bleak colors craft a cinematographic experience that is simultaneously whimsical and dark. The winding Mississippi River enacts beautiful momentum and depth, and the houseboat on which Ellis lives places several characters in its hands. The film captures an intimate and isolated sliver of life amidst tall grasses and stately trees that could not have been portrayed without the impressive visuals that the movie possesses.  

While “Mud” is full of noteworthy performances, actor Tye Sheridan comprises one of the most impressive facets of the film in his portrayal of the pained and eager Ellis. Though he is young and he is quiet, his acting chops are developed beyond his years. He subtly and humbly depicts the boy who is every man and woman’s son, brother and friend. Though his struggles are plotted and specific, they are deeply universal and resonate intensely.

Sheridan’s counterpart, Jacob Lofland, enacts a wonderful performance of the young Neckbone as well. Though the film does not delve into his character with the same intensity that it does with Ellis, he is meaningful and hilarious. His quips are delightful and his love for life and for his friend is apparent. His brief exchanges with his guardian and uncle (Michael Shannon) are similarly touching. Lofland is simultaneously endearing and tinged with sadness.

Across films, McConaughey’s characters are often dangerously similar to one another and Mud is no exception. Though the actor falls into his characteristic vocal and physical patterns, there is something wonderfully apropos about them to this film, though. It is hard to envision another actor taking on this role; McConaughey captures Mud’s rough exterior and loving interior perfectly.

“Mud” singlehandedly redeems this spring’s depletion of films. Full of impressive performances, beautiful visuals and poignant messages, it is quietly taking on theaters everywhere. Its title is simple, but its content is momentous and it is more than worth a trip to the theater this season.