DePaul bands face off at the Battle of the Bands to win music package

Student bands performed at a Battle of the Bands Tuesday. (Garrett Duncan / The DePaulia)

Students once again filled Lincoln Hall last week for the Battle of the Bands on Tuesday, May 3, where DePaul musicians competed to play at DePaul’s annual outdoor concert, FEST.

After hours of fierce on-stage battling, DePaul band Rotten Mouth and DJ Affinity won. They will share the stage with professional musicians and receive access to the rehearsal studio, Music Garage.

This year marks the 31st anniversary of the concert in the Quad which takes place May 27. The professional headliner at FEST this year is The Neighbourhood, a rock band known for their single “Sweater Weather.”  Also performing will be rapper T-Pain  and pop duo, Karmin. Canadian DJ Grandtheft will be performing the FEST after party, After Hours.

But for many students in attendance, the fun of Battle of the Bands comes from seeing their  friends perform.

“I have buddies in two of the bands —Earth Lodge and Rotten Mouth,” DePaul alumnus Kevin Gross said. “It’s good stuff.”

Junior Alex Guzman also enjoyed the concert and approved of the winners.

“I really liked DJ Affinity — it was fun to dance to,” Guzman said. “I liked Rotten Mouth — lots of energy.”

Battle of the Bands coordinator Betsy Lugo said although it’s sometimes challenging coordinating a big event like Battle of the Bands, it was a great experience, especially working with DePaul students.

“You hope it pays off,” Lugo said. A lot of people don’t realize it’s student-run — it’s something to appreciate.”

DAB member Laurel Pierce said Battle of the Bands is an event that takes a lot of work to put on.

“The day of, it’s a collective work with DePaul Activities Board,” Pierce said. “It takes a lot of communication — a lot of back and forth with myself and the bands.”

Ultimately, everyone does whatever is needed to be done to make the event successful, Pierce said.

Tickets for FEST cost $10 and will be sold beginning May 16 until the concert. After Hours is free and open with a valid ID. Only DePaul students may attend.