Bacino’s serves Italian classics in warm, friendly setting in Lincoln Park

Rigatoni de Bacino at Bacino’s — an Italian restaurant in Lincoln Park that serves pizza, pasta and all the essentials of an Italian feast. (Pat Mullane / The DePaulia)

Some have called it the Magnificent Mile of Lincoln Park — the long stretch of shops and restaurants down Lincoln Avenue would delight just about anyone. It’s my belief the sun shines particularly bright on the street for a reason. Perhaps it’s the fact that the street not only features a Jimmy Johns and a Potbelly’s, but other American classic restaurants, such as Chipotle and Dairy Queen.

But at the far reach of the street lies an Italian gem. Its sign hangs quietly over the great people of Lincoln Avenue.

It reads: Bacino’s.

Now, if you’ve ever traveled across the great Atlantic Ocean and tasted the exquisite and rich flavors of food within the warm heart of Italy, Bacino’s is for you. Kind of. Probably not.

But if you’re looking for some classic Italian dishes — be it pizzeria, pastas or some fine imported wine, in an environment that has a 32 inch Plasma playing ABC’s “Castle” on the hour; then yes, Bacino’s is definitely the place for you. 

The space within the restaurant is quite homey in size, seating perhaps no more than 30 — though by the looks, a packed house was a never a worry — but fewer customers, means better service.

It’d be quiet if it weren’t for an unusual mix of soundtrack being played, with artists that included Frank Sinatra, an Italian man singing in Italian and what I believe were the Ronettes. 

It’s always worth asking the server what their favorite dish is on the menu, as I do with every new restaurant.

“Penne alla Bolognese,” she said.

“Rigatoni de Bacino,” I pasta-countered, because it seemed easier to pronounce.

According to my extensive Google research, the Italian word “bacino” means kisses, but I will save some readers the trouble — as no kisses were provided at this dinner. But there was something even better.

Free bread.

Well not technically free cause I bought it with the pasta, but nonetheless this bread coupled with olive oil and Parmesan cheese was quite possibly the best arrangement of food instruments invented by man.  If there were a food Avengers, it would be that.

The pasta dish was brought out the kitchen fairly fast, and looked quite appetizing as it was laid in front of me.  The rigatoni covered in tomato cream sauce, and filled with ground Italian sausage and green peas, was nothing short of a delight. 

Is it the best pasta I ever had?  No.

But is it more Italian and better tasting than Olive Garden? Yes, but it should be noted Bacino’s does not provide unlimited breadsticks. 

Yet, for the food that you do get at Bacino’s, the pricing isn’t half bad.  Splitting one dish of pasta for two people might save you $15 and will still fill you up.   

Bacino’s never fell short of my expectations on my first visit.

Though shortly after my first visit, I came back swiftly through the doors.  And by shortly I mean half an hour after my first visit, and then again after my second visit. 

It started when I lost my car keys. After both the waitress and the chef cleared the table and booths from the floor for me, I had realized my shiny single key had to be somewhere else — but the people of Bacino’s were ever more helpful in my search. 

And while I found my car key thanks to DePaul’s Public Safety, it was only when they asked to see my ID, I had realized my wallet was missing as well…

By the time I walked through Bacino’s doors for the third time that day, it had been clear I had already become a regular during my search for good food, a key and wallet (that has not been found).