The DePaulia wins 14 Catholic Press Association awards

The DePaulia was honored with 14 national awards from the Catholic Press Association’s inaugural student awards, and swept the online multimedia and writing categories. 

Work in five categories was judged by members of the Catholic Press Association.

Catholicism

Second place: “Pope Francis addresses political and spiritual issues in D.C.” by Brenden Moore

Second place“Millennials embrace Pope Francis” by Megan Deppen

Graphic art or photograph:

First place: “Laquan McDonald remembered at prayer vigil Monday” by Geoff Stellfox

Third place:  “DePaul’s bench mob celebrates a basket” by Josh Leff

Online multimedia:

First place:  “Adjunct Agony: Uncertainty for part-time professors at DePaul” by Emily Brosious,  Matt Koske and Julian Hayda

Second place:  “More than a decade of drought: An oral history of the 2003-04 Blue Demons” by Matthew Paras, Kirsten Onsgard and Mariah Woelfel

Third place: “The reality of crime: Theft highest among crimes reported at DePaul” by Courtney Jacquin

Honorable mention: “‘I was raped:’ A DePaul student’s rape and the university’s code of conduct” by Rachel Hinton and Shelley Mesch

Writing

First place:  “DePaul, other universities make strides, still struggle to fight sexual assault” by Courtney Jacquin

Second place“The right to joke: Which topics can satirists tackle after Charlie Hebdo?” by Emily Brandenstein

Second place:  “‘The year it all fell apart’: A DePaul student’s journey to find housing” by Jessica Villagomez

Third place: “In 30th DePaul season, Doug Bruno still has goals to reach” by Ben Gartland

Honorable mention:  “Composing the future: The journeys of three School of Music students as they prepare for graduation” by Kirsten Onsgard

Honorable mention: “Ty Corbin’s last stand” by Matthew Paras