Interview: Hannah Florence of ‘Phantom of the Opera’ at Cadillac Palace Theatre

Chicago is no stranger to legendary theater, and this winter, something special is in store. A beautiful and revitalized production of “The Phantom of the Opera” has come to the Cadillac Palace Theatre. The DePaulia had the opportunity to speak with cast member, Hannah Florence, to learn more about the show, how it has been made new and how it still adheres to its traditional and beloved roots.

The DePaulia: What is it like to be a part of a production that is so widely known and loved? Does this come with a particular set of expectations and has your own knowledge affected your experience being a part of it?

Hannah Florence: It’s pretty crazy being a part of such a huge, iconic show. It’s been an amazing experience for me because it’s a show that I grew up seeing and singing along to. It’s not really something that you expect to actually be a part of. I think for me and for a lot of the cast members it continues to hit us, you know? You have a performance where the audience just roars with applause and you think, “Wow, I am in this iconic show.” It never stops surprising me, to be honest. It’s great. It’s a little scary, but you can’t let that get to you. Obviously, as a performer you just have to try to do the best job you can and feel honored and lucky that the creators think you are a good representative for whatever role you’re playing to continue the story.

DP: It seems like this production has been reimagined. Are there any specific ways in which it is different from the original show?

HF: Yes, the choreography, direction, staging and set design are entirely new. They have never been seen before, anywhere, except in our production. It’s still produced by Cameron Mackintosh, still the same beautiful music and same exact score. The costumes are the same. Some costumes are new as well, and that sort of went hand-in-hand with the direction, but you’re getting the same essence of the show, the same romantic quality and all of the spectacle and magic of the show, just with a new take. The show is 25 years old, so it’s from the ’80s, which is totally great, and I love the original version, but I think our director tried to look at the production more from a 2013, 2014, now standpoint and make the characters and the story a little bit more real and grounded to today’s audience. So it’s a little more accessible for a younger crowd but there is still a lot of spectacle and lots of fire and amazing voices; none of that has changed in our version.

DP: Can you tell me a little bit about Meg, who you portray in the show?

HF: I play Meg Giry and she is the daughter of Madame Giry, who is the ballet mistress of the Opera House. She is about 18 years old, and she is best friends with Christine who is the main female lead in the show. They both start the show off in the ballet. Meg is a little spunky in our version in that she sort of speaks out of turn and kind of gets the ball rolling for Christine’s journey in the first scene of the show. From then on you see Meg grow up a little alongside Christine. She and her mother are both of the characters who are a little more knowing in the Paris Opera House. We are a little more mysterious in our connections with the Phantom. Meg is sort of up to no good a little bit but she cares about Christine a lot and sort of propels Christine into the stardom that she acquires.

DP: If you had to choose one favorite aspect of this production, what would it be?

HF: I don’t think I could pick. If I had to say one thing I would say that my favorite moment in the show, as a spectator, is the opening of the show. I think it’s breathtaking. And then for me, as an actor and a human, my favorite part is just doing it every day. I love the group of people that they have assembled. I love my cast on stage and off. We’re good friends so I just have so much fun going to work every day and getting to play on stage. It’s great.

DP: If you had the opportunity to tell your audience one thing before they see this show, what would you say to them?

HF: I would tell the audience to come to the show with an open mind and that way they will be able to more fully take in everything that is about to happen. It is a big show, and there is a lot to enjoy.

“The Phantom of the Opera” will be at the Cadillac Palace Theatre through March 2.