“West Side Story” comes to Chicago with MaryJoanna Grisso

This month, the acclaimed production of “West Side Story” is coming to Chicago’s Oriental Theatre as part of its national tour. The DePaulia had the unique privilege to talk to actress MaryJoanna Grisso who portrays Maria, the show’s famous heroine.

“Maria is a great character to play,” said Grisso. “I’ve been drawn to her since I was a young girl because this is one of the first musicals I ever saw.”

Grisso has always admired this heroine’s power and grace.

“I think Maria is a really beautiful, strong character and she doesn’t see the segregation between these two groups,” said Grisso. “She is a very hopeful young person. I don’t think she cares if someone is a different color than her or speaks a different language than her. She is an inspirational character and that is really why I like playing her.”

West Side Story is beloved by all, but this also presents a special challenge when it comes to staging it. Many audiences are familiar with and fond of the show, which instills a unique sense of pressure.

“It’s such an iconic show and such an iconic role and I think that people have an image in their minds of what they’ve seen in the movie or the original production,”

said Grisso. “For me, it’s a huge honor because I like that people know the show. I think that it can be intimidating a little bit, but to me it feels like such an honor to have to uphold this responsibility to play such a beautiful character and to share such an important story that is so relevant no matter what day and age it is. People are always dealing with racial clashes and people are always dealing with segregation. I just think it’s such an important story to share and I’m so grateful that I get to be a part of it.”

Grisso was hard-pressed to choose a single favorite aspect of the show when she was asked to. Her journey with the show is a lengthy and exciting one – she loves every part of it.

“Honestly, my favorite thing is just doing the show every night,” said Grisso. “I’ve probably done 200 shows and I still grab my heart backstage before I go on. I literally can’t believe that this is my job – I get to play this role. I get to sing this music that is so beautiful. I get to perform with these amazing people who are so talented and come from all walks of life and all kinds of training.”

Though the show is an undoubted classic, this tour makes sure to leave its individual mark on the show. It stays faithful to the original production while adding special aspects to define it as unique.

“In the production that we’re doing, there is a little more Spanish in it,” said Grisso. “It’s a little more spicy in that sense. You still totally get the story while getting more of a flavor of these characters that would actually speak in their native language.”

When asked if she had any advice for aspiring young actors and performers, Grisso indicated that persistence is key.

“You can feel like you haven’t found the right show for you or you haven’t found the right job or you haven’t found your voice yet or you haven’t found the characters that you’ll play,” said Grisso.

“But there is a part for everyone and there is a time for everyone. The more you keep at it, the better the chances are for you to find the perfect situation for you.”

Grisso’s openness and enthusiasm radiate in her personality and will surely resonate in this June’s show. Her perseverance is unique and inspiring.

“You literally never know what could happen,” said Grisso. “You believe in yourself and you have to keep going and you’ll make it – you truly will.”

West Side Story will be at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago from June 11- 16.