Solange’s new album gives voice to black America

In her first album since her EP “True” that was released in 2012, Solange Knowles captures love, black girl magic and beauty in each of the 17 tracks that make up her new album, “A Seat at the Table” dropped Sept. 30.

(Photo courtesy of Columbia Records)
(Photo courtesy of Columbia Records)

With hits like “Cranes in the Sky,” “F.U.B.U,” “Weary” and “Don’t Touch My Hair,” Knowles returns to the root of her music, that old school soulful sound channeling and answering questions about black women and how necessary it is to accept all that comes with it.

Her visual for “Don’t Touch My Hair” is now my anthem, as she highlights various shades and style of African-American women — in each frame there is a different hairstyle from braids and weaves to naturals.

She lets the world know that touching a black woman’s hair is like touching the most vulnerable parts of her, leaving her feeling exposed.

The epitome of confident, beautiful and empowered, this music video already has almost three million views in three days. “A Seat at the Table” is a versatile album dedicated to her upbringing as well as her evolvement as a woman, featuring great vibes and lyrics Knowles focuses on embracing all essences that forms the love we have for ourselves and those around us.

I asked DePaul sophomore Karlie Thornton what the message she believed black girls and women should specifically take away from Solange’s album.

“Love yourself before anyone else can. It’s okay to be mad,” she said. “But don’t let it hold you down your whole life.”

It’s okay to fall down but make sure you fell down doing what you love so that you can heal and get up quickly and beautifully. It is important to show someone else the magic they have inside because they might not see it,” Thornton said. “Don’t be apologetic about keeping parts of our culture for ourselves whether it’s our hair, dialect music, or fashion we have a right to claim it and be proud.”

Thronton’s analysis is one many listeners have shared together, and while this album focuses on aspects within the African-American community with songs like F.U.B.U (For Us By Us), the audience is not limited.

Her wide fan base is what is making her album such a success. Magazines such as Rolling Stone and W call her innovation honest, bold and stunning. This album is a declaration and commentary on what the world has come to and where it is headed.

“Mad,”which features Lil Wayne (his first appearance on a song since the trouble with his record label) speaks on the issue of loneliness and perseverance, something everyone can relate to. Along with giving her audience words of wisdom, she creates an environment where they can enjoy these strong messages using tastes of dusty jazz, R&B and some punk.

“A Seat at the Table” is a memoir expressing who she is now as an artist, revealing a completely different side than showed on her two previous albums “Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams,” and “True.” We can’t help but give props to Knowles as she teaches us to love, grow and forgive.

If you don’t know who she is, now is the perfect time to find out. Have a seat at the table and enjoy this feast of versatility.