Behind Closed Doors

The Board of Trustees has approved a number of big changes in the past few years. It approved the creation of the College of Communication and the purchase of 14 E. Jackson. Each year, the board must approve tuition levels and fees for DePaul students. So who is part of the enigmatic administrative realm making such important choices for DePaul University?

Father Ed Udovic, DePaul’s Board of Trustee secretary since 2001, has witnessed firsthand the institution’s rapid growth in the last few years.

“The board’s approval, review and assessment of Vision 2006 and Vision Twenty12 (see sidebar) have brought the university to the position of academic and fiscal strength that it enjoys today,” he explained. “The campuses, faciliªties, student services and academics have improved expoªnentially because of the success of these plans.”

According to the board’s official Web site, current trustªees range from Ms. Sue L. Gin, chairman of Flying Food Group Inc., to James M. Jenness, chairman of the board for the Kellogg Company, to Reverand Robert P. Maloney, coordinator of Project Dream, among other high-profile men and women.

None of the trustees were available for interview before this edition went to print due to the high demand of their careers. In addition the board generally avoids public ex-posure due to the amount of media traffic they would need to accommodate if they opened up the lines of communiªcation more directly.

Currently, anybody is able to follow actions the board makes through press releases issued whenever decisions are made. Students may voice their concerns through the Student Government Association. Faculty, staff and alumªni can all contact the heads of their respective councils. The heads of the four bodies are all welcome to attend and speak at any board meetings that take place throughout the year, though they do not have a vote in any of the matters presented.