Cleveland Melvin signs contract to play basketball in Hungary

(Cleveland Melvin/Instagram)
(Cleveland Melvin/Instagram)

[dropcap]F[/dropcap]ormer DePaul forward Cleveland Melvin signed a contract to play overseas basketball in Hungary with the Alba Fehervar.

Melvin posted a picture of him signing the contract on his Instagram account Friday. The Alba Fehervar went 15-7 last season and are coached by Tenter Marcel of Romania. They are part of the National Championship I/A league, the top flight of club men’s basketball in Hungary.

“First and foremost I just want to thank god not only for giving me this great opportunity but for helping me stay patient, positive and most importantly for putting me in the right direction over these past few months,” Melvin said on Instagram. “I want to also thank my family, the ones who been there for me and supported me throughout my life and basketball career so far. I thank the club Alba Fehervar for giving me this great opportunity to be apart of the team.

“I’m just so blessed and excited to finally start a new chapter and journey playing in the city of Szekesferhevar, Hungary over these next nine months. Time to focus in and get this money now so I can provide and take care of my son.”

Melvin, who was with DePaul basketball from 2010 until 2014, left DePaul in the middle of the season due to unspecified reasons. Before leaving, Melvin was suspended indefinitely on Jan. 25 for violation of an unspecified team rule. DePaul announced Feb. 10 that Melvin would not be returning.

After that, Melvin joined the Erie BayHawks of the NBA’s Development-League (D-League) March 6. Melvin appeared in 10 games where he averaged 21 minutes a game, 11.2 points per game and 4.1 rebounds per game.

Melvin hoped that his stint in the D-League would lead to him being drafted by an NBA team in June, but Melvin went undrafted. He also didn’t land on a Summer League roster after that.

He averaged 16.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in 20 games for the Blue Demons in his final season. Melvin also earned the Big East Rookie of the Year award in 2011 and is among DePaul’s all time leaders in scoring, blocks and rebounds.