Americans need new role models

The limousine door gently props open as a perfectly tanned and toned leg gracefully peeks out. As soon as her sky high Christian Louboutin red heeled bottoms hit the red carpet all eyes are on this one woman.

Her floor length designer gown elegantly drapes behind her as the plunging neckline shouts to the thousands of admirers, “look at me, look at me!” What makes this woman so captivating? Is it her crystal blue eyes blazing through her smokey eye makeup? Or her flowing locks, so perfect that her hairstyle almost transforms the red carpet scene into a full blown hair commercial?

One hair flip, and of course, the million dollar smile follows. Teeth so white that it appears to reflect brighter than the flash bulbs of the paparazzi, going off like fireworks.

Or maybe her appeal stems from her modeling, acting or singing career? A celebrity lifestyle is no longer longed for and lusted over, but within the past years, it has crept into a new and even obsessive phase: to be more and more celebrity like.

It is no longer enough to attend a concert and sing along, but instead memorize every lyric of Drake’s in hopes of emulating your own rapper lifestyle. People just don’t casually flip through the channels and consider a new workout routine, now they have Keeping up with the Kardashians and desire a curvaceous body like Kim K.

Being original and innovative is considered trendy in Hollywood and encouraged, yet ironically through the means of imitating others.

Theresa Lagner, 19, of Lakeview admits to being a little celeb-obsessed. “I love seeing what my favorite stars are going to wear, how they style their hair or what nail color they like best. It helps form my own style. I like to be on top of trends and if that means looking more like Miley Cyrus or Blake Lively, I am totally down,” she said, gushing.

Yet, once the facade of the makeup, glitz and glam melt away, sometimes literally due to how much makeup these starlets adorn themselves with, what is left to admire?

“They live such exciting lives! They get to travel, meet so many people, go to parties, events and pretty much do what they want because they can afford it and have the power to. I wouldn’t mind trading in for that lifestyle for a little while,” Lagner said.

As the words floated off her lips the realization of how luxurious a celebrity lifestyle can be became depleted by the ever powerful tool of reality. A reality so firm and full of what truly matters in life, or what should, to people.

What good is a dream closet full of clothing and accessories, minus the dream of spending time with family and making one of your own? Traveling around the world seems a little less appealing knowing how much work has to be completed upon return. My point is this that regardless of your occupation, outer appearance, talents, wealth, or dreams, every person experiences joy along with suffering and lives a normal life beneath it all. Even celebrities.

Christina Becker, 26, of River North, tries her best not to fall into all the chaos of the celebrity world. “I keep up with the celebrities I like and take note of how they look and what they do, but I try to remind myself as much as possible that they are everyday people,” she said.

Yeah, Brad Pitt might look dashing on the set of his latest flick, but an obsessive fan might not realize a personal struggle. The rail thin Victoria Secret models have bodies that appear to be near perfect and lusted over both by men and women. However, no one places emphasis on models that have been affected or even lose their lives to eating disorders and poor body image.

Next time you tune into E! or purchase US Weekly, remember that the pages filled with what are supposed to be your role models and aspirations are not too different or farfetched from who you are. Somewhere between the Hollywood hype, photo shoots and reality TV, the realization that these are real people, who should not be held up on a pedestal.

Celebrities are fulfilling the duties of their careers, whether that is to sing, dance, act, network, model, or compete. What gets forgotten is that people all around the world are fulfilling the same duties. Police officers, doctors, mail carriers, teachers, accountants, social workers, and journalists along with countless others are just as suitable role models, if not better. The luxurious lifestyle might not accompany these peoples hard work, but a real lifestyle does and that contains more value than any diamond ring, or Gucci hand bag.

Michael Dillon, 43, of Chicago, feels disgusted by the attention celebrities receive. “You have these girls, and probably guys too, who would do anything to be like these morons on TV. I remember the good old days where your mom and dad were your role models instead of reality stars,” he said.

Dillon’s words serve as a crucial reminder that celebrities are not the only people to desire to be like.