Five TV shows to see this winter

From sequels to spinoffs, here are some of the best shows to tune into this winter.

1.“The Mick”

Jan. 1

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” actress Kaitlin Olson stars in this upcoming Fox series “The Mick,” where she plays lavish partier Mackenzie “Mickey” Murphy. When her wealthy, estranged sister and husband flee the country to avoid a federal indictment, Mickey becomes the parental guardian for her niece and nephews. While the plot of an unexpected parental job bestowed on an irresponsible guardian is rather overused, the show does look both situationally funny and touching. Whether Kaitlin Olson can transfer from the outlandish and wild “It’s Always Sunny” to a different toned series so smoothly is unknown yet, but her comedic chops are undeniable. Watch “The Mick” at 8 p.m. every Tuesday on FOX.

2.“Powerless”

Feb. 2

The first sitcom series set within the world of the DC Universe, “Powerless” follows the employees of Wayne Security (hint: owned by Bruce Wayne) as they create various safety products for humans to survive during battles between superheroes and supervillains. With hit television stars Vanessa Hudgens (“High School Musical”), Danny Pudi (“Community”), and Alan Tudyk (“Firefly”), the show certainly has some promise in succeeding with this rather strange premise. Whether it can compete with the likes of Marvel’s “Daredevil” (Netflix) and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) is unknown but at least the DC Universe series does offer a fresh story to the superhero genre. Watch “Powerless” at 7:30 p.m. every Thursday on NBC.

3. “24: Legacy”

Feb. 5

The new Fox television series, “24: Legacy,” a spinoff to the once widely successful series “24,” premieres next month to find out if it can still carry the original show’s thrill without Kiefer Sutherland’s popular character Jack Bauer. Comprised of 12 episodes, compared to the original’s 24-episode length seasons, the show follows war hero Eric Carter (played by “Straight Outta Compton” star Corey Hawkins) as he investigates why a number of Army Rangers is being assassinated. If the first episodes seem promising and in sense to the original’s tone, Fox may have found its winter hit drama series. Watch “24:Legacy” at 7 p.m. every Monday on FOX.

4.“Big Little Lies”

Feb. 19

Possibly the most star studded casted series on the list, “Big Little Lies” follows three mothers (Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, and Shailene Woodley) whose lives and drama begin to unwrap in front of each other. While there isn’t much known about the plot, the limited series is based on the book of the same name by Liane Moriarty, and while it’s fairly common for HBO to adapt a book into a television series, it is fairly uncommon for that series to be unsuccessful. “Big Little Lies” is easily one of the most anticipated television series of the season. Watch “Big Little Lies” every Sunday at 9 p.m. on HBO.

5. “Taken”

Feb. 27

In a list full of spinoffs, sequels and adaptations, why not just add a prequel to the mix with NBC’s “Taken” — a show that explores how Bryan Mills (played by Liam Neeson in the films) got his special agent status and “very particular set of skills.” In the same logic as “24: Legacy,” the show could be promising as long as it respects the original material and tries to add to it instead of merely copying or replicating. While the premise of the show is interesting, the graphic violence will certainly be held back on Fox compared to shown in the films. Watch “Taken” at 9 p.m. every Monday on NBC.