Darrick Wood commits to DePaul men’s basketball

DePaul picked up its fourth commitment for the 2014-2015 season on April 23 when guard Darrick Wood signed his Letter of Intent.

Wood, a 6-foot-5 guard from Washington D.C., played at Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, Kansas last season. He averaged 13.6 points per game and 3.7 rebounds per game. He shot 43.1 percent, including 31.7 percent from 3-point range.

WeAreDePaul.com first reported the news.

“Proud to be apart of the DePaul Blue Demon family!” Wood tweeted April 23. He then tweeted two days later that he signed his Letter of Intent and said, “It’s a good day to be a Blue Demon.”

Wood originally committed to St. John’s in 2012, but decommitted and ended up spending a fifth year of high school at Bridgton Academy in Maine. He then went to Hutchinson, a junior college, this season.

Yahoo! ranked Wood a four-star recruit coming out of high school and the 25th best shooting guard in the nation. Wood joins Billy Garrett Jr., Durrell McDonald, RJ Curington and Aaron Simpson in a suddenly crowded backcourt.

“Big (shout out) to Darrick Wood for joining our family today,” Garrett tweeted. “(DePaul) fans are in for a pleasant surprise next year.”

Meanwhile, DePaul lost out on top-recruit Josh Cunningham. Cunningham, who was ranked 98 in ESPN’s Top 100 high school recruits for 2014, made a surprise visit to DePaul on April 22. He ultimately decided on Bradley University, however.