Springboard Theater Company resurrects “Dead Man Walking”

unnamedA thought-provoking and entertaining experience is the goal for Springboard Theater Company’s production of “Dead Man Walking” which opens April 20-22. In connection with the DePaul Honors Program, Open Theater Group and the Office of Mission and Values, this performance has a large team looking to deliver an even larger message.

“Dead Man Walking,” originally written by Prejean, follows her journey of meeting and exchanging letters with Mathew Poncelet, a convicted felon, preparing for the death penalty and trying to convince Prejean to help prove his innocence.

Given the religious aspect of the play, artistic director Peter Bucci and director, Doug Long made an interesting choice in using The Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church as their performance space.

“The main aspect that really made the decision for us was the atmosphere the audience would be immersed in,” Bucci explained. “Having the audience sit in pews causes them to be in a “church” mindset. Even if you’re not religious, the seating will bring to mind memories and feelings of being proper, silent and reflective, while traditional theater is much more relaxed.”

Since churches are not traditional spots for theater performances, the crew had to be extra creative when designing and creating the set.

“Between their amazing hospitality and willingness to allow us to enter their sanctuary to present such a powerful piece, has made using a non-traditional space much easier to work with,” Bucci said of the Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church. “We are creating a set that mimics a minimalist version of a prison, the large hanging cross hanging over center stage will remain lit and apparent in the production. As it follows a Vincentian nun, this seems both fitting and somewhat eerie.”

Springboard’s adaptation of “Dead Man Walking” will be directed by DePaul professor and professional theater director, Doug Long. This is his first time directing for Springboard Theater Company, he has been their advisor for the past three years and is extremely impressed with “the diversity and quantity of programs they produce.”

08 May 1996, Angola --- SISTER HELEN PREJEAN AT THE ANGOLAN STATE PENITENTIARY --- Image by ?? Brooks Kraft/Sygma/Corbis
Author of “Dead Man Walking” Sister Helen Prejean talks with an inmate on death row. (Photo courtesy of ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Long is not the only DePaul faculty member involved in “Dead Man Walking.” Prejean will be played by Jeanne Williams from The Theatre School. Other faculty members involved with the performance include Stephanie Howell, Ed Childs and Cary Lovett.

While a cast of both students and faculty members can be challenging for some directors due to different ages and backgrounds, Long uses this to his advantage.

“All have acting experience and working with them has been a terrific experience for the students,” Long said of his colleagues. “Having a diversity of life experiences has enriched our company and I find that having more seasoned actors has helped raise everyone’s game and sense of professionalism.”

The show will take place during Sister Helen Prejean Week and the 24th anniversary of “Dead Man Walking’s” publication. According to Bucci, this is no coincidence.

“It made sense to do everything in our power to stage the show during Sister Helen Prejean Week and have Sister Prejean discuss her work after the performance. It has been the most anticipated event for our team all year long.”

This particular performance is especially important to Springboard because Sister Helen will be there to spectate. “Dead Man Walking” has been performed at venues as notable as The Kennedy Center. However, Sister Helen feels that the student-run theater company is just as capable of putting on an excellent show.

“Young people hold the hope for change in our country,” said Prejean. “They’re active and passionate and eager to engage with meaty issues, and so I’m delighted that Springboard will perform the play and that I’ll be there in the audience.”

The death penalty is still a hot topic of debate in today’s society. So, this performance of “Dead Man Walking” will leave audiences with so much more than pure entertainment.

“The death penalty is one of the most fundamental human rights issues of our time,” Prejean said. “When our government has the authority to take a person’s life, all human life is devalued as a consequence.”

Because “Dead Man Walking” touches on such serious topics, it is so much more than just a play. It clearly depicts both sides of the death penalty, which will leave the audience torn.

“I think the play, which was adapted by Tim Robbins, will have a visceral effect on its audience that is unique from reading the book or seeing the film,” Long said. “Someone might come into the play believing they feel one way or another about it and they will probably leave considering a fresh perspective.”

Springboard Theater Company’s production of “Dead Man Walking” is at the Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church at 7 p.m. on April 20-22.