Filed under Arts/Life, Music

St. Vincent’s DeJamz: DePaul playlist

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

From athletics to academics, music to movies, there’s no doubt that DePaul University is home to a great number of talented students.  While DeJamz has covered an array of renowned known and not-so-famous artists over the years, we have yet to take a look at some of the many musically talented students at our school. Whether your go-to genre is hip-hop or rock and everything else in between, here is just a little taste of the array of artists DePaul University offers.

1. “Break the Walls” — Brizzy Brown

One of the more known artist of this week’s DeJamz, DePaul senior Will Brown has become something of a hip-hop star on campus as the soft spoken, soulful and sometimes instigating rapper Brizzy Brown.  With two albums under his name, Brown has embraced his music prospects as something of a career, even though he has had trouble attaining spots at any Chicago music venue.  And while he’s expressed in his music his disdain for Chicago rappers Chance the Rapper and Kanye West, the soon-to-be graduate is hoping to join their ranks in the hip-hop genre one day.  You can check out the rapper’s newest songs on the YouTube channel “SWELLEN.”

2. “Caught Up!” — Ember Oceans

Comprised of three DePaul students, Joe Cox, Parker Simonaitis, Sean Groebe and first year student at Art Institute of Schaumburg, Freddy Purcell, the four men of Ember Oceans have quickly made a name for themselves as they break into Chicago’s indie music scene.  If there’s a song to check out from their extensive discography, it’s their latest “Caught Up!” song.  To learn more about the band, you can check out the DePaulia’s profile of them back in January.

3. “soul.’” — Femdot

Another DePaul rapper that has quickly made a name for himself on campus is Femi Adigun, also known by his stage name Femdot.  The DePaul rapper has quickly become the newest signee of Chicago’s Red Bull Sound Select, traveling across the country to perform on weekends and attending class on weekdays.  Opening for Dreezy back in October, FemDot’s opening acts have gradually grown over the year as the artist has found himself venturing outside of Chicago and all over the country to perform.

4. “I Don’t Care” — Fall Out Boy

While no longer a student at DePaul, the bass player of Fall Out Boy Pete Wentz nearly graduated DePaul years ago, though instead of finishing up his academic year he decided to pursue a music career instead.  While it’s safe to say dropping out was the right choice for Wentz, he has still certainly left his mark at DePaul without ever attaining a degree from here.