Swing and a miss: DePaul whiffs on four-star recruit

DePaul was one of the final two for Bryan Penn-Johnson who opted to stay on the West Coast. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Going public with his college decision two days before his originally scheduled March 21 decision date, four-star big man Bryan Penn-Johnson announced via Twitter Monday evening his commitment to the University of Washington.

“First of all, I want to thank God for all of my gifts [and] opportunities that I have and had [and] also all the hardships that have led to my decision,” Penn-Johnson wrote in a note he posted on Twitter late Monday night. “I want to thank my family for always being in my corner and believing that I would be someone great. I also want to [thank] all of my coaches over the years for molding me into the player and man I am today and thank you to all of the coaches that recruited me throughout my basketball career. I will continue my education and basketball career at the University of Washington. GO DAWGS!!!”

The announcement is another heartbreaker for a DePaul Blue Demon men’s basketball program that had heavily recruited Penn-Johnson and was one of the final two schools he mulled over before making his decision.

The 7-footer from Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah was on an official visit at DePaul in mid-October and Blue Demon head coach Dave Leitao and his staff had previously visited him in Utah. In an interview with Corey Evans of BasketballRecruiting.com, Penn-Johnson hinted that what DePaul did in the win/loss column this season could play a major factor in his decision.

DePaul finished the season 11-20 and in last place in the Big East Conference.

He’s the latest name on a growing list of top DePaul recruiting targets who have chosen other institutions over the Blue Demons. La Lumiere point guard Tyger Campbell ultimately dashed away from DePaul in favor of UCLA in early February after committing to the Blue Demons last spring and then reopening his recruitment in September.

On Monday night three-star point guard Tai Strickland, son of former DePaul basketball star and longtime NBA player Rod Strickland, announced on Twitter the final three schools on his college wish list. DePaul, after extending him an offer on March 12, wasn’t included on that list.

13 Responses to “Swing and a miss: DePaul whiffs on four-star recruit”

1. Mediocrity on March 20th, 2018 10:22 am

Enough is enough. Fire JLP. I am dropping all my Season Tickets after two decades.

2. Sandyinaccounting on March 20th, 2018 10:53 am

As mentioned in other posts, there are tons of problems in the whole department. And was JLP really making fun of Sr. jean yesterday? Glad they put some makeup on her? What the heck, how low class. Typical snide remarks and then phony public behavior by Tombasco and JLP. Bullying, obnoxious behavior toward staff, student workers and now an elderly Chaplain. Stop this.

DePaulBlueDemon Reply:

JLP never did this, stop trolling. There’s reason enough to fire her without making stuff up.

Sandyinaccounting Reply:

If it didn’t happen, then why would someone make it up? Don’t be so angry about the possibility. She’s no saint.

Susan Labovic Reply:

Actually, she is pretty saintly . . . Just shows how much you don’t know. SMH

Susan Labovic Reply:

Stop this is right. Stop making up fake stories about Mrs. Lenti Ponsetto. It’s one thing that you, for some crazy reason, want her out as AD, but completely different story when you spew defamatory comments. Not cool.

Mtw Reply:

Making stuff up is not cool, but really, for some crazy reason u want her out as AD…she has ruined DePaul’s flagship program, and she deserves to be fired, no matter how saintly she may be!!!

Change At DPU Reply:

“It’s one thing that you, for some crazy reason, want her out as AD.”

Some crazy reason? What rock do you live under? Do you not understand that your son wouldn’t be playing on the DePaul Soccer team if it wasn’t for Men’s Basketball picking up the tab? I’m sure you like Jeannie because she’s been nice to your son, but how much $ did your beloved 2-6-1 Men’s Soccer team generate for the University last season?

Hank Scorpio Reply:

Hey Susan – didn’t you play softball with JLP? Sounds like you mighte be a wee bit biased.

3. Sandyinaccounting on March 20th, 2018 10:57 am

Could be the culture?

4. Joseph Bourelly on March 21st, 2018 10:17 pm

DePaul will not dig itself out of the Big East basement banking on 4- and 5-star recruits. Team has to begin with an identity and commitment to defense. It doesn’t take big time recruits to do that. Look at Loyola!

5. Mt on March 23rd, 2018 3:18 pm

I’m done…lost a grand buying season tickets. 11 loosing seasons and she (JLP) hires..rehired a coach who just ran two schools into the ground.. Susan are you out your misery’s protecting her…

6. Anon on March 27th, 2018 5:49 pm

Swing and a miss is better metaphor for a baseball story. As it stands, it’s mixing metaphors.

• Swing and a miss: DePaul whiffs on four-star recruit

McCallum’s agent hopes his scoring spices up in Switzerland

Henry selected to try out for Team USA World Cup qualifying team

Justin Roberts to transfer from DePaul

Strus is no longer on the loose; announces return to DePaul after declaring for NBA draft

The DePaulia’s 2018-19 recruiting class analysis

Save us, Romeo

DePaul finds true love with their Romeo

Scouting Strus: He declared for the draft without an agent, so what are his odds of going pro?

Time wasted: The Commission on College Basketball represents a hollow step in the wrong direction

DePaul adds size with grad transfer Olujobi