Filed under Arts/Life, Film & TV

Television in bloom

Victoria Williamson | The DePaulia

Victoria Williamson | The DePaulia

Victoria Williamson | The DePaulia

Finally, spring has arrived. The days are longer, rain is falling, flowers are blooming (the weather isn’t great but we can’t win them all.) While the arrival of spring begins to revive the world around us, a batch of brand new television shows attempt to freshen up the television landscape. In contrast to the jumbled TV schedule during fall premieres, the arrival of spring shows are much more subtle. Additionally, they are very rarely marketed to the same degree as their autumn counterparts. Because of this, you run the risk of missing out on some great new programming that could help get you through the quarter. Below are a few selections signifying the best of the bunch when it comes to this spring’s newest shows. Feel free to sit back and try to watch these before your allergies swell your eyes shut.

Splitting up together

This sitcom serves as a modern reinvention of the classic family-oriented show, as the parents in charge of this family are getting a divorce and are opting for alternate weeks of “on and off” duty. On “off” weeks, the off-duty parent lives in the renovated garage, and the on-duty parent runs the household. The show, while it may focus on a troubled relationship, is for the most part nothing but lighthearted. Leading the cast is Jenna Fischer, a star best known for her breakout role as Pam on “The Office.” As part of that ensemble cast, Fischer played a pivotal role but was never fully in the spotlight. Finally, “Splitting Up Together” has given Fischer the opportunity to really showcase her talents as a comedic actress. Oliver Hudson plays her estranged husband and the rapport established between the two is indicative of the history they have together, adding depth to their relationship. “Splitting Up Together” is a fresh take on the typical family comedy and reinvents it for the current time. It’s perfect viewing for when you’re sitting on the quad avoiding your responsibilities as the weather turns around.

Good Girls

I would argue that “Good Girls” is one of the most ambitious shows on network television right now. “Good Girls” is a drama/comedy centered around three mothers and best friends who have all found themselves in less than ideal positions in their lives. As a result, they rob a grocery store in an attempt to solve their financial woes and in turn their other problems. The cast is comprised of Christina Hendricks, Retta and Mae Whitman as the three mother-turned-criminals. “Good Girls” remains relatively lighthearted considering the premise, thanks mostly part to Whitman and Retta’s comedic contributions to the show. Retta, most known from her role as Donna Meagle on “Parks & Recreation,” is finally given a lead role that allows her to establish her versatility as a performer. Conversely, following the critical success of her job in the teen-comedy “The DUFF,” almost everyone in Hollywood agreed that Whitman was more than capable of leading a major film. With “Good Girls,” she is able to lead with the same skill while returning to her network ensemble roots from her five seasons on NBC’s “Parenthood.” As fun as the show might be at times, it still features moments that highlight the danger and potential consequences of their unlawful indiscretions; the balance between comedy and drama is one that the show sometimes struggles to perfect. Throughout the first few episodes “Good Girls” struggles a bit to find its tone, but as the episodes progress, it the writers and actors seem to increasingly find their footing.

For the people

Television pioneer Shonda Rhimes has struck again, this time with her sights set on a New York City trial court and the new prosecutors and public defenders that work there. Often going head-to-head, these young lawyers struggle to prove themselves and learn the ropes in the most famous trial court in America. “For the People” borrows some key aspects of other Rhimes productions “Scandal” and “How to Get Away with Murder,” with long dramatic speeches and powerful female characters leading the way. Much like the rest of her shows, the cast is diverse and representative of many points of view, making the show better as a whole. The cast is also mostly comprised of very young actors which leaves them with a lot of room to grow within the confines of the show. The plots can get dry at times, but as the episodes progress, the characters become more central than their cases which makes the show easier to digest and more entertaining. Essentially,”For the People” is the perfect show for those that looked forward to the courtroom scenes the most when watching “Law and Order: SVU.” Finally, your prayers have been answered and high-stakes court cases now take center stage.

Champions

After six seasons of success with “The Mindy Project,” Mindy Kaling has returned with the new sitcom “Champions.” It follows the life of Vince (Anders Holm), an unambitious gym owner whose life is altered when one of his high school flings drops their 15-year-old son off on the doorstep of the apartment that he and his absent-minded adult brother, Matthew, share. Where the show finds its depth is through the development of the relationship between Vince and his son Michael, a gay millennial teen with his sights set on succeeding at a prestigious performing arts school. This marks Anders Holm’s first leading role after the conclusion of “Workaholics,” a series he co-created and co-starred in. Working alongside Holm is a supporting cast full of fresh and funny faces that work brilliantly together as well as apart. In fact, this role could be a major career jump-off point for comedian Fortune Feimster, who plays the childhood friend of Vince and Matthew. The writing is similar to that of “The Mindy Project”: lighthearted, silly and highly referential to pop culture. All in all, “Champions” is a strong new comedy that shows signs of improvement with each episode.

2 Responses to “Television in bloom”

1. Windows Defender Support on June 12th, 2018 12:44 pm

Television is such a technology that not only plays the role of training platform but it also blooms our mind to the height of amazed. Like the Spring is the season of blooming various colorful flowers, television can bloom one’s mind for the refreshment. You can search Windows Defender Support for more about the roles Television.

2. Clara Smith on June 14th, 2018 2:22 pm

Television is such an implementation of technology that is not used only for gaining knowledge but also for entertainment and fun. It can make a family together, as each member of the can sit together, and enjoy any movie or Tv series in their leisure time. People can even keep a track about whats going on, on the other parts of the world, by checking over the news.
    For more queries, you may contact Microsoft Support Australia

• Television in bloom

Harry Styles solidifies his rockstar status at United Center

• Music

Destroy Boys, Sons of an Illustrious Father rock Schubas

• Television in bloom

The wait was worth it for ‘Incredibles 2’

• Music

Punk band Iceage headlines Chicago June 21

• Arts/Life

Cow Lamp

• Television in bloom

Arts/Life

’13 Reasons’ gets graphic in season two

• Television in bloom

St. Vincent DeJamz, May 29, 2018

• Television in bloom

What’s Fresh in Crime Documentaries

• Television in bloom

Steffan Argus, Shane get groovy at the Subterranean

• Television in bloom

Showcase

Ferg at FEST

Television in bloom