Putting the meaning back into Memorial Day

Veteran Liaisons, Bridget M. Keane (left) and Daniel Eggensammer (right), members of the Office of Veteran Affairs, working the Memorial Day informational and games event.

Lili Trifilio|The DePaulia

Lili Trifilio|The DePaulia

When we think of Memorial Day, we often think of barbecues, parades, time off school and the beginning of summer. We also tend to forget what exactly our nation is actually celebrating.

“Memorial Day is a national day where we get to spend time with our families, but we need to remember their sacrifice,” said Heather Duke, member of the Office of Veteran Affairs at DePaul. “We enjoy the safety and freedom in our country because of the veterans who have fallen to protect us.”

Duke, a six-year Navy veteran, joined the Office of Veteran Affairs to connect with fellow veterans and help students to do the same.

“We live in a peace time. It is easy to forget about the veterans,” Duke said. “We don’t have the same connection to them as we used to when the country was under threat.”

It’s this ethos that drives both of the main veteran advocacy groups on campus, the Office of Veteran Affairs and the Student Veterans Union, to foster a connection between veterans and the non-veteran study body year round. During Memorial Week, the groups collaborated to highlight the importance of those who serve and to remember those who have passed.

“Memorial day and Veterans Day are two completely different holidays,” said Eric King, former president of the Student Veterans Union. “The purpose of Memorial Day is not to honor the living, but to remember those that died serving.”

Events included an informational event with interactive games, a Memorial Day luncheon and finally a service event where students traveled by bus to Lincoln Cemetery in Worth, Illinois for a flag ceremony. Students placed more than 400 flags on veterans’ graves in honor of the fallen soldiers.

Lili Trifilio|The DePaulia
Beanbag games at the Memorial Day informational and games event hosted by the Office of Veterans Affairs.

“It is not just about the barbecues. It’s about remembering the ultimate sacrifice veterans have made in our country,” Duke said.

Many students like Duke enter the military during college. At DePaul, more than 600 students on campus currently use veteran benefits.

The Office of Veteran Affairs also plays a large role in aiding veterans on campus outside of Memorial Week. Part of their outreach includes hosting career events that offer jobs in fields where veterans can excel.

“Certain fields of employment prefer vets because of their unique skill sets,” Duke said. “We try to make it easier for veterans to find jobs in these areas by hosting career events throughout the school year.”

Additionally, the Office of Veteran Affairs puts on Veterans Week each fall, which celebrates all those who have served and grants veterans a special graduation ceremony.

DePaul was ranked as a top school in the 2015 Military Advanced Education Guide to Colleges and Universities and as a top university serving veterans by the U.S. News and World Report. The university boasts on the Admission and Aid section of its website that DePaul has never placed limitations on the number of veterans that can enroll in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which provides tuition-free education to eligible students.

The Student Veterans Union is another on-campus group that aims to spread awareness about the importance of Memorial Day. It is run by DePaul students and works both independently and collaboratively with other organizations to implement programs and events that assist both veterans at DePaul and throughout the United States.

During Memorial Week, their booth gave out yellow ribbon pins to students as a symbol of remembrance and mourning. Plastic poppy flowers, which have been used to commemorate veterans since World War I, were offered to those who donated to the Student’s Veterans Union in an effort to raise money for the organization.

“This is the first time we’ve collected donations at a DePaul fundraiser,” King said.

King emphasized that the Students Veterans Union’s goal is to help student veterans on campus feel included at DePaul. The group currently has 85 active members, and they are growing every year.

The organization aims to make changes on campus to accommodate the large amount of veterans at DePaul.

“When I attended the College of DuPage there was a student lounge where all of us could go and meet up,” said George Murad, member of the Students Veterans Union. “We are trying to make a veteran’s center, similar to the gaming lounge, where people can go and hang out.”

The Student Veterans Union attends conferences with different chapters of similar unions at universities nationwide. Through this outreach, they learn new information that can help DePaul’s chapter in find ways to further support veterans on campus.

For veteran organizations at DePaul, building a community between veterans and non-veterans is a top priority.

“These events are not just for vets, (they’re) for everyone,” Murad said. “Vets connect better with other veterans because of their shared experience, but it’s important we build an inclusive community for all DePaul Students.”

6 Responses to “Putting the meaning back into Memorial Day”

1. Office 365 Migrations on May 29th, 2018 8:03 am

I think that one of the biggest things you have to include is ergonomics and efficiency. One often feeds into the other when it comes to office comforts, i have found. Thanks for these tips.

Office 365 Migrations

Lisa Joy Reply:

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him (Supremespellcast@gmail.com Or Supremespellcast@yahoo.com

2. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:54 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

3. Olivia Megan on June 7th, 2018 11:53 am

Call Dr.Dave For Urgent Love Spell +55 (11) 97732-4658
    I’m Olivia Megan from United State,I’m happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce, Dr.Davi brought my husband back today and i am so excited. I got Dr.Davi email online when a lady was testifying about the strong spell caster who restored her marriage then I said to myself since he helped her, he can also help me,so i emailed him and told him the pain that I was going through,and he told me what to do and i did it,Then he did an urgent Love spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came back home and with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me. Then from that day,our marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr.Davi. Our family is complete again. If you are going through Divorce/Broke-up since Dr.Davi helped me, he can also help you..email him at: Spelltemple@fastmail. com,Thank you Dr Davi for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me.
    Email him: Spelltemple@fastmail com Call him now +55 (11) 97732-4658  ,.

4. Miraclespellhome@yahoo.com on June 12th, 2018 5:23 am

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Miracle, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Miracle,that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT,ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS,You Can “CONTACT Via : Email : (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved Or”Whats-app +23408071398555,)))

5. Lisa Joy on June 13th, 2018 10:20 pm

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him (Supremespellcast@gmail.com Or Supremespellcast@yahoo.com)

• Putting the meaning back into Memorial Day

Nation & World

Bill aims to teach LGBT history

Nation & World

Building Big Brother: China’s new frontier

Nation & World

A deeper look into terrorism

Nation & World

The U.S. pulls out of Iran Deal

Nation & World

IAAF changes the regulations for female intersex athletes

Nation & World

Unemployment rate falls to lowest in almost two decades

Nation & World

Nation & World Briefs: May 7, 2018

Nation & World

Stories from the melting pot

Nation & World

Starbucks closing stores for “racial bias training”

Nation & World

Cuba’s historic change in power