Filed under Focus, Showcase

Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place

William Sullivan | The DePaulia
Revival Food Hall (pictured above), located a couple blocks north of the DePaul Loop Campus at 125 S Clark St, has a variety of local restaurants, each serving different cuisines. Restaurants of note are Aloha Poke, Furious Spoon Ramen, Smoque BBQ, The Budlong hot chicken, and Union Squared Detroit style pizza. There is also a bookstore/record shop, a bakery, and a bar. They also do happy hour every night.

Going to the mall as a child was always a treat.  Walking into the stores, window shopping, maybe even being able to buy something were always things to look forward to. Then, when you got hungry, there was the mall food court, filled with Auntie Anne’s, Sbarro, Dairy Queen, enjoyed at simple tables on tile floors.

Now a new trend has replaced the mall food court– the food hall.  They are different with designer restaurants. But like the mall food court, they have lots of options.

“There’s a lot more food,” said DePaul sophomore Peter Wong at the Revival Food Hall.  “I see Furious Spoon and Mindy’s Chocolate that is definitely better than [a] food mall.”

“I come during the school year about once a week, just while I am waiting for my train,” said DePaul philosophy PhD candidate Evan Edwards.  “It is a great venue not only for trying out different foods but also having a communal space.”

Not everyone thinks Revival is perfect.  “I like the options for food, but a little more diverse options would be nice,” said DePaul sophomore Fern Visattanasak. But “I like it because it is quite modern here, very dynamic.”

“I am vegan, so the only place here that has an option for me is Furious Spoon,” said Edwards.  “I had some ramen earlier today (…) it is great, I get it every time I come.”

In their April 2018 annual report on food halls, consulting firm Cushman Wakefield and their food hall expert Garrick Brown see a bright future for food halls.

“Food halls are popping up around the United States at a breakneck pace” the report says.  “By 2020 the marketplace will have tripled in size in the span of just five years.”  They also provide a different experience than mall food courts or individual restaurants. “The modern food hall is about the celebration of food itself. It is not an amenity for its consumers, but the primary reason for their visit,” according to the report.

Chicago has seen an increasing number of food halls open since The Chicago French Market opened in 2009 and Eataly opened in 2010.  Latinicity opened in late 2015, 3 Greens Market and Revival Food Hall opened in 2016.  Forum 55 opened in 2017.  “Food halls offer experience and food halls are eCommerce-proof,” said the Cushman Wakefield report. “The food hall has emerged as the ultimate amenity for mixed-use, office, and multifamily projects.”

Food halls are different than a food court like the one in the mall or the one in the DePaul Student Center.  These have well reviewed fast casual restaurants.  Some, like Eataly and Latinicity have a single ethnic theme.  Others are a hodgepodge of different cuisines and options.

5 Responses to “Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place”

1. Office 365 Migrations on May 29th, 2018 1:24 pm

I think that one of the biggest things you have to include is ergonomics and efficiency. One often feeds into the other when it comes to office comforts, i have found. Thanks for these tips.

Office 365 Migrations

2. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:51 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

3. Lisa Joy on June 23rd, 2018 4:28 pm

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him Supremespellcast@gmail.com

4. jolena rodriguez on July 14th, 2018 7:46 am

I am very surprise for the miraculous experience and wonders of Dr gbojie that have been spreading on the Internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their lost lovers I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lovers i was deeply in love with my boyfriend and he was with me but suddenly one day he broke up with me. I tried everything but nothing seemed to workout, I thought it was going to be over forever.I never believed in spells but I was so desperate I thought I got nothing else to loose. I started searching for different spell casters and I finally found ‘Great gbojie Temple’ who helped me through the process and I eventually got my boyfriend back and we are so happy together. I am so grateful to him. If you ever need a spell caster who can get you ex back then contact him on [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com]and his telephone number is +2349066410185

5. Linda oscar on July 28th, 2018 9:29 am

Hello everyone.. My name is “Linda Oscar Lestochi” I was married for 8years with William. things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time. it got worse at a point that he filed for divorce. I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me. But he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for the divorce. I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when a friend introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out. I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice. He did special prayers and used roots and herbs. Within 4 days he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, he moved back to the house and we continue to live happily. what a wonderful miracle dr. Umagbai did for me and my family. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news. I strongly believe someone out there need’s his help.(dr.umagbaisolutionhome@gmail.com) his whatsapp number (+2348051122286) so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship,you can also contact him if you have any problems..
    1) want your ex back.
    2) You always have nightmares.
    3) To be promoted in your office
    4) Do you want a child.
    5) You want to be rich.
    6) you want to keep your husband / wife for you alone forever.
    7) Do you want to be in control of that marriage
    8) Do you want to be attracted to people
    9) The lack of children
    10) needs a husband / wife
    11) HOW TO GET YOUR LOTTERY
    12) PROMOTIONAL SPELL
    13) SPELL PROTECTION
    14) BUSINESS SPELL
    15) GOOD JOB HECHIZO
    16) cure for any disease.

• Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place

Focus

Laugh track: Women in comedy continue to triumph over adversity

Focus

Save the Date: The countdown to the royal wedding has begun

Focus

Women writers Hall of Fame

Focus

Waste-free living: Recipes for reducing waste, saving money and helping the environment

Focus

Free flow: Where to go when you need to go

Focus

Cool War or Red Heat? No big difference

Focus

A paper tour of the Chicago skyline

Focus

Feeding the homeless

Focus

Veggie tales

Focus

Short Spring Break?