Filed under Focus

Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place

Going to the mall as a child was always a treat.  Walking into the stores, window shopping, maybe even being able to buy something were always things to look forward to. Then, when you got hungry, there was the mall food court, filled with Auntie Anne’s, Sbarro, Dairy Queen, enjoyed at simple tables on tile floors.

Now a new trend has replaced the mall food court– the food hall.  They are different with designer restaurants. But like the mall food court, they have lots of options.

“There’s a lot more food,” said DePaul sophomore Peter Wong at the Revival Food Hall.  “I see Furious Spoon and Mindy’s Chocolate that is definitely better than [a] food mall.”

“I come during the school year about once a week, just while I am waiting for my train,” said DePaul philosophy PhD candidate Evan Edwards.  “It is a great venue not only for trying out different foods but also having a communal space.”

Not everyone thinks Revival is perfect.  “I like the options for food, but a little more diverse options would be nice,” said DePaul sophomore Fern Visattanasak. But “I like it because it is quite modern here, very dynamic.”

“I am vegan, so the only place here that has an option for me is Furious Spoon,” said Edwards.  “I had some ramen earlier today (…) it is great, I get it every time I come.”

In their April 2018 annual report on food halls, consulting firm Cushman Wakefield and their food hall expert Garrick Brown see a bright future for food halls.

“Food halls are popping up around the United States at a breakneck pace” the report says.  “By 2020 the marketplace will have tripled in size in the span of just five years.”  They also provide a different experience than mall food courts or individual restaurants. “The modern food hall is about the celebration of food itself. It is not an amenity for its consumers, but the primary reason for their visit,” according to the report.

Chicago has seen an increasing number of food halls open since The Chicago French Market opened in 2009 and Eataly opened in 2010.  Latinicity opened in late 2015, 3 Greens Market and Revival Food Hall opened in 2016.  Forum 55 opened in 2017.  “Food halls offer experience and food halls are eCommerce-proof,” said the Cushman Wakefield report. “The food hall has emerged as the ultimate amenity for mixed-use, office, and multifamily projects.”

Food halls are different than a food court like the one in the mall or the one in the DePaul Student Center.  These have well reviewed fast casual restaurants.  Some, like Eataly and Latinicity have a single ethnic theme.  Others are a hodgepodge of different cuisines and options.

9 Responses to “Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place”

1. Office 365 Migrations on May 29th, 2018 1:24 pm

I think that one of the biggest things you have to include is ergonomics and efficiency. One often feeds into the other when it comes to office comforts, i have found. Thanks for these tips.

Office 365 Migrations

2. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:51 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

3. Lisa Joy on June 23rd, 2018 4:28 pm

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him Supremespellcast@gmail.com

4. jolena rodriguez on July 14th, 2018 7:46 am

I am very surprise for the miraculous experience and wonders of Dr gbojie that have been spreading on the Internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their lost lovers I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lovers i was deeply in love with my boyfriend and he was with me but suddenly one day he broke up with me. I tried everything but nothing seemed to workout, I thought it was going to be over forever.I never believed in spells but I was so desperate I thought I got nothing else to loose. I started searching for different spell casters and I finally found ‘Great gbojie Temple’ who helped me through the process and I eventually got my boyfriend back and we are so happy together. I am so grateful to him. If you ever need a spell caster who can get you ex back then contact him on [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com]and his telephone number is +2349066410185

5. Linda oscar on July 28th, 2018 9:29 am

Hello everyone.. My name is “Linda Oscar Lestochi” I was married for 8years with William. things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time. it got worse at a point that he filed for divorce. I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me. But he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for the divorce. I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when a friend introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out. I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice. He did special prayers and used roots and herbs. Within 4 days he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, he moved back to the house and we continue to live happily. what a wonderful miracle dr. Umagbai did for me and my family. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news. I strongly believe someone out there need’s his help.(dr.umagbaisolutionhome@gmail.com) his whatsapp number (+2348051122286) so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship,you can also contact him if you have any problems..
    1) want your ex back.
    2) You always have nightmares.
    3) To be promoted in your office
    4) Do you want a child.
    5) You want to be rich.
    6) you want to keep your husband / wife for you alone forever.
    7) Do you want to be in control of that marriage
    8) Do you want to be attracted to people
    9) The lack of children
    10) needs a husband / wife
    11) HOW TO GET YOUR LOTTERY
    12) PROMOTIONAL SPELL
    13) SPELL PROTECTION
    14) BUSINESS SPELL
    15) GOOD JOB HECHIZO
    16) cure for any disease.

6. kate on August 15th, 2018 2:39 am

my husband of 9 years left me just because i could not give him A child, i did all i could to make sure i give him a child, i even went to an extent of forcing him to have sex with me every night but could not work. not until one evening when i was browsing through the internet, i saw a comment on how a woman in same problem like mine was made home by A man called lord amadi . i read about him and decided to contact him for help, i did as he ask me to do but i was still wondering how can someone just bring back my love he don’t even know but i keep doing as he ask me to do. i was very surprise one morning my husband came and started begging me to come back to his life. at first i pretend to be angry then i accepted him back. lord amadi also cast a spell for me to make me have children and as i speak right now i am a mother with 3kids. if there is any one out there who needs his help you can contact him through his personal EMAIL: lordamadi@outlook.com.i wish you good luck

7. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 8:02 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

8. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:42 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com

9. clouds on August 21st, 2018 2:20 am

My name is Heidi Ellaine, I lives in United States, my Email [covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com] help me thank DR. covenant who helped cured me from HERPES SIMPLEX in just one (1) week. I got
    to know him from a friend who he helped, at first I doubt if his herbal
    product would work until my friend put her car at stake that if it doesn’t
    work she would give me her car. After which I decided to try, to God be the
    glory am now a living testimony, all thanks to DR. covenant, if not for him I would
    not have been healed so easily.. You can reach him via
    covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp at +2349057353987, you can also
    contact him on cure on……
    1. GONORREA
    2. SYPHILIS
    3. ASTHMA
    4. STROKE
    5. DIABETES MELLITUS
    6. SIMPLEX HERPES
    7. RINGING EAR
    8.LOW SPERM COUNT
    9.SICKLE CELL
    10.HIV/AIDS
    11.CANCER