Filed under Focus, Showcase

Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place

William Sullivan | The DePaulia
Revival Food Hall (pictured above), located a couple blocks north of the DePaul Loop Campus at 125 S Clark St, has a variety of local restaurants, each serving different cuisines. Restaurants of note are Aloha Poke, Furious Spoon Ramen, Smoque BBQ, The Budlong hot chicken, and Union Squared Detroit style pizza. There is also a bookstore/record shop, a bakery, and a bar. They also do happy hour every night.

Going to the mall as a child was always a treat.  Walking into the stores, window shopping, maybe even being able to buy something were always things to look forward to. Then, when you got hungry, there was the mall food court, filled with Auntie Anne’s, Sbarro, Dairy Queen, enjoyed at simple tables on tile floors.

Now a new trend has replaced the mall food court– the food hall.  They are different with designer restaurants. But like the mall food court, they have lots of options.

“There’s a lot more food,” said DePaul sophomore Peter Wong at the Revival Food Hall.  “I see Furious Spoon and Mindy’s Chocolate that is definitely better than [a] food mall.”

“I come during the school year about once a week, just while I am waiting for my train,” said DePaul philosophy PhD candidate Evan Edwards.  “It is a great venue not only for trying out different foods but also having a communal space.”

Not everyone thinks Revival is perfect.  “I like the options for food, but a little more diverse options would be nice,” said DePaul sophomore Fern Visattanasak. But “I like it because it is quite modern here, very dynamic.”

“I am vegan, so the only place here that has an option for me is Furious Spoon,” said Edwards.  “I had some ramen earlier today (…) it is great, I get it every time I come.”

In their April 2018 annual report on food halls, consulting firm Cushman Wakefield and their food hall expert Garrick Brown see a bright future for food halls.

“Food halls are popping up around the United States at a breakneck pace” the report says.  “By 2020 the marketplace will have tripled in size in the span of just five years.”  They also provide a different experience than mall food courts or individual restaurants. “The modern food hall is about the celebration of food itself. It is not an amenity for its consumers, but the primary reason for their visit,” according to the report.

Chicago has seen an increasing number of food halls open since The Chicago French Market opened in 2009 and Eataly opened in 2010.  Latinicity opened in late 2015, 3 Greens Market and Revival Food Hall opened in 2016.  Forum 55 opened in 2017.  “Food halls offer experience and food halls are eCommerce-proof,” said the Cushman Wakefield report. “The food hall has emerged as the ultimate amenity for mixed-use, office, and multifamily projects.”

Food halls are different than a food court like the one in the mall or the one in the DePaul Student Center.  These have well reviewed fast casual restaurants.  Some, like Eataly and Latinicity have a single ethnic theme.  Others are a hodgepodge of different cuisines and options.

2 Responses to “Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place”

1. Office 365 Migrations on May 29th, 2018 1:24 pm

I think that one of the biggest things you have to include is ergonomics and efficiency. One often feeds into the other when it comes to office comforts, i have found. Thanks for these tips.

Office 365 Migrations

2. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:51 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

• Food hall frenzy: Designer, fast and casual restaurants in one place

Focus

Laugh track: Women in comedy continue to triumph over adversity

Focus

Save the Date: The countdown to the royal wedding has begun

Focus

Women writers Hall of Fame

Focus

Waste-free living: Recipes for reducing waste, saving money and helping the environment

Focus

Free flow: Where to go when you need to go

Focus

Cool War or Red Heat? No big difference

Focus

A paper tour of the Chicago skyline

Focus

Feeding the homeless

Focus

Veggie tales

Focus

Short Spring Break?