Filed under Arts/Life

Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Callie Craig | Post Malone

Callie Craig | Post Malone

Callie Craig | Post Malone

With the sun still beating down and the typically lush grass of Grant Park completely flattened from the foot traffic of the day before, festival goers filed in for a promising second day of Lollapalooza. Big names were scattered across the schedule throughout the day, there were plenty of entertaining ways to fill up the time, eventually culminating in an epic performance by Bruno Mars.

Callie Craig | Tyler, the Creator

Post Animal’s packed debut

Chicago-based rock band Post Animal kicked off the afternoon on the American Eagle stage where they made their official Lollapalooza debut. The crowd continued to grow throughout the set, leaving space only in the back under the shade.

Fans sang along with the music, never missing a lyric and always perfectly in-sync with the band. Following the success of their first album, “When I Think of You in a Castle,” their debut only further solidified their status as a band on the rise.

Taylor Bennett makes a name for himself

His voice is eerily similar to his older brother’s and they share the same wide smile. But Taylor Bennett, Chance the Rapper’s younger brother, has an entirely unique style to his music. Unlike Chance, his music isn’t heavily reliant on gospel but rather uses fast-tempo beats to take his songs to another level.

Plenty of people packed in around the stage while others chose to sit under the shade of the trees to get a quick and much-needed reprieve from the harsh sun.

The crowd was a real mixed bag. Devoted Taylor fans made their way to the front and made their presence known while curious Chance fans came to see what he had to offer. Regardless of how well they knew him starting out, they definitely won’t forget him now.

Much like Chance, the city of Chicago is of great importance. Taylor took every opportunity to remind the crowd just how great this city truly is and what it has to offer. One thing’s for sure: the Bennetts love Chicago. It just so happens that Chicago loves them back.

Bebe Rexha lights up Lake Shore

With her flowing blonde hair and nude bodysuit, Bebe Rexha took some time to reminisce on what once was. Just four short years ago, Rexha was playing her first Lolla at the much smaller BMI Stage, to a crowd who seemingly didn’t know who she was. But this year, Rexha ran on stage to a sprawling crowd all cheering her name.

She performed some of her most popular chart-topping songs including “Me, Myself & I,” her new single “I’m a Mess,” and her first ever hit song “Take Me Home” to which she acknowledged its impact on her career by simply stating “Cash Cash baby!”

The highlight of the performance came when she invited two fans onto the stage, Drew, a tall sunburnt kid wearing a basketball jersey and a blue bandana, and Lauren, a smiling girl with a high ponytail in a red shirt and cutoff overalls. It was then that Rexha attempted to play matchmaker by playing her hit “In the Name of Love” with the overjoyed fans dancing alongside her.

After ending her set, she returned to the stage taking song requests from fans and begging festival organizers to let her play one more song, which they allowed despite this all taking place nearly 20 minutes before the scheduled end of her show. Regardless, fans were more than happy to have her on stage one last time before moving on to the rest of the day’s festivities.

Tyler, the Creator and Post Malone draw massive crowds

Despite both of their sets being much earlier in the day than usual for artists of their caliber, Tyler, the Creator and Post Malone were able to draw headliner-sized crowds for their respective sets.

Tyler kicked things off at 4:30 p.m. on the Grant Park stage where eager fans had been gathering for over two hours and others were still trickling in from other parts of the park. However, as soon as the music started, crowds of people came running from all over to catch the show in full.

Emerging on stage in a tie-dye button-up shirt and red shorts, Tyler took the crowd’s energy to another level and never let it fall. Throughout, Tyler once again proved why is one of the most unique artists today, with his performances being entirely and unequivocally “Tyler.”

Immediately after his hour-long performance under the still scorching sun, a mass exodus took place as almost the entire crowd made a beeline for the Bud Light stage, all the way on the most northern part of the festival grounds. With still over an hour to go until show time, Post fans buzzed excitedly through the crowd, meeting up with friends and strategizing the best way to get a good view among the sea of people. For many, standing atop trash cans did the trick.

Finally, after a brutal wait, Post Malone burst on stage with a man bun and a white shirt and pants covered in pink, green and black graffiti. After introducing himself, he assures the crowd that he would play songs off of both of his albums, 2016’s “Stoney” and his newest release, “beerbongs & bentleys” which came out at the end of April this year. He kept his promise.

Bruno Mars came to entertain

As if his 11 Grammy’s weren’t evidence enough, Bruno Mars is a force to be reckoned with. Filling up the entirety of Grant Park for his set is an accomplishment in and of itself, but to capture the attention of each and every person in the crowd and is something else.

Wearing a white Bulls jersey and matching red shorts, Mars kicked things off with his most recent hit “Finesse” accompanied by fireworks. Mars mixed up his setlist a bit, highlighting songs of note that he has released over the course of his career including “24K Magic,” “That’s What I Like,” “Treasure” and “Marry You.” He also acknowledged that “it’s a beautiful night to be dancing, sweating and falling in love” which made his performances of love songs “When I Was Younger” and “Just the Way You Are” all the more special.

While Bruno Mars is deservedly referred to as one of today’s greatest performers, his immensely talented band provides back up like no other. All in matching white sneakers, they grooved on stage together seamlessly synchronized. Their performances, with Mars front and center and the guys spread out horizontally behind him are perfectly choreographed. Never a missed step or off-beat movement. But they also have the unique ability to perform with such ease that each movement seems improvised and spontaneous, making their performance all the more dazzling.

As the tiring second day came to a close, hoards of festival goers headed to the exits early in an attempt to beat the crowds. Unfortunately for them, the lucky Lolla loyalists that stayed were treated to a nearly 15-minute encore of “Uptown Funk” that encapsulated a fitting, and funky, ending to Friday.

5 Responses to “Lollapalooza Friday Recap”

1. Yazmin Emilia Dominguez on August 4th, 2018 3:46 pm

These photos are beautiful

2. clouds on August 7th, 2018 7:25 am

ENLARGE YOUR PENIS WITH DR.COVENANT PENIS ENLARGEMENT CREAM
    Hello everyone am cliff, From texas USA , i am here to give my testimony about a spell caster called Dr Covenant, I was heartbroken because i had very small penis, not big enough to satisfy a woman, i have been in so many relationship, but cut off because of my situation, i have used so many product which doctors prescribe for me, but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments on the internet about this specialist called Dr Covenant and decided to email him on his email i saw on the internet,(Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) so I decided to give his herbal product a try. i emailed him and he got back to me, he gave me some comforting words with his herbal pills for Penis Enlargement, Within 3 week of it, i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, ” and now it just 4 weeks of using his products my penis is about 9 inches longer, and i had to settle out with my Ex girlfriend Jane, i was surprised when she said that she is satisfied with my sex and i have got a large penis.
    Am so happy, thanks to Dr Covenant. If you need his help on his email via (Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) Thanks or call him on his mobile +2349057353987

RESULTS AFTER CASTING OUR PENIS ENLARGEMENT SPELL;
    Permanent penis enlargement
    Thick penis
    Bigger penis head
    Improved force and intensity
    Boosted semen quantity
    Effective erections
    Cures and prevents impotence
    Have multiple orgasms
    Ends Early ejaculation
    Increased stamina
    Best regard

3. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 7:59 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

4. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:39 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com

5. clouds on August 21st, 2018 2:15 am

My name is Heidi Ellaine, I lives in United States, my Email [covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com] help me thank DR. covenant who helped cured me from HERPES SIMPLEX in just one (1) week. I got
    to know him from a friend who he helped, at first I doubt if his herbal
    product would work until my friend put her car at stake that if it doesn’t
    work she would give me her car. After which I decided to try, to God be the
    glory am now a living testimony, all thanks to DR. covenant, if not for him I would
    not have been healed so easily.. You can reach him via
    covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp at +2349057353987, you can also
    contact him on cure on……
    1. GONORREA
    2. SYPHILIS
    3. ASTHMA
    4. STROKE
    5. DIABETES MELLITUS
    6. SIMPLEX HERPES
    7. RINGING EAR
    8.LOW SPERM COUNT
    9.SICKLE CELL
    10.HIV/AIDS
    11.CANCER

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Arts/Life

An Interview with Post Animal

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Arts/Life

Lolla Recap: Day 4

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Lollapalooza 2018 Recap: Saturday

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Arts/Life

Lollapalooza Thursday Recap

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

‘Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again’ delivers another ABBA-centric feel-good flick

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Real Friends debuts their third full length record, ‘Composure’

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

Harry Styles solidifies his rockstar status at United Center

• Music

Destroy Boys, Sons of an Illustrious Father rock Schubas

• Lollapalooza Friday Recap

The wait was worth it for ‘Incredibles 2’

• Music

Punk band Iceage headlines Chicago June 21

Lollapalooza Friday Recap