Filed under Campus News, News

While freshmen applications spike, overall enrollment declines

The recent enrollment numbers have been released by DePaul, showing that while applications and retention rates are increasing, the overall enrollment numbers are continuing to drop.

The entering 2018 freshman class was the university’s second-largest in its history, with 2,575 freshmen enrolling in the autumn quarter. The 2018 class held an additional 33 students over the 2017 class, which sat at 2,542.

Enrollment in the College of Computing and Digital Media, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the Theatre School all increased between 2017 and 2018. However, the College of Business still holds the largest portion of freshmen at 25 percent despite enrollment numbers taking a slight dip between the 2017 and 2018 freshmen classes.

Overall freshmen applications rose over 20 percent in 2018, with DePaul receiving 26,169 applications as compared to the 21,613 applications from 2017.

Jon Boeckenstedt, the associate vice president of enrollment management, believes that the recent spike in applications last year was caused by the new software tool that DePaul has begun using, Slate, which allows those in the enrollment offices to have control over messaging and events, while also catching students who otherwise might have been lost.

If you look at traditional undergraduates.. you’ll find that head count has dropped a bit over the past five years, but the total credit hours taken has been more stable.”

— Jon Boeckenstedt, Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management

The application numbers are continuing to increase throughout this application season too, according to Boeckenstedt.

“We are seeing an increase again this year, although it’s nowhere near the 22 percent surge last year,” he said. “Right now, with our deadline a few weeks away, we are up about two percent over last year’s record.”

The number of admitted freshmen students rose from 15,506 in 2017 to 26,169 in 2018, however, the admission rate dropped from 72 percent to 68 percent between the last two years.

The yield rate, or the percentage of applicants who later enrolled in DePaul, has also experienced a gradual decline. Only 15 percent of admitted freshmen in 2018 chose to enroll with the university. The yield rate has slowly been dropping in recent years. In 2014, the percentage of admitted students sat at 19 percent but has been lowering nearly every year since.

The retention rates are also continuing to rise, according to enrollment management. The retention on freshman who entered in 2017 was at 85.9 percent – a little over two percent higher than the entering 2016 freshmen class.

Overall, however, the university is continuing to see a decline in enrollment across the board. Since 2011, enrollment numbers have slowly been going down between both undergraduate and graduate students. The total university enrollment was at 25,398 students in 2011, but now sits at 22,437 as of the 2018 year.

The School for New Learning (SNL), which is about to go through a complete restructuring later this year, has seen nearly 50 percent decline in enrollment throughout recent years. Law enrollment has also leveled off in the low 800s after “experiencing the same challenges almost every law school in the nation has endured,” according to university officials.

Despite the numbers, Boeckenstedt says it is nothing to worry about as less students are taking on more credit hours.

Annalisa Baranowski | The DePaulia

“Although there is a number we call ‘enrollment’ it’s more complex than that,” Broeckenstedt said. “If you look at traditional undergraduates, for instance [all colleges except SNL] you’ll find that headcount has dropped a bit over the past five years, but the total credit hours taken has been more stable. This is because the students who are enrolling tend to be more full-time and fewer part-time students.”

Boeckenstedt believes that a large contribution to the decline in enrollment numbers at DePaul is the decline in enrollment at local community colleges, where many students transfer to DePaul from.

“The drop we have seen in traditional students is due largely to decreased enrollment at community colleges, which are the primary source of transfer students,” Boeckenstedt said. “Enrollment at some local community colleges in transfer programs has fallen by as much as 15 percent in recent years, and that sends a ripple through our enrollments.”

Diversity has been a major talking point for DePaul administrators throughout the years. DePaul works with Chicago Public Schools and other community organizations to try and expand knowledge of the opportunities they offer, as well as utilizing the ACT and College Board to contact students of color across the country to try and promote a more diverse university.

“We dedicate substantial economic resources to institutional financial aid for low-income, first-generation students, who bring economic diversity even if they come from majority populations,” Boeckenstedt said.

Overall, the total students of color have been gradually increasing over the years, with 8,544 students enrolled in 2017 and a record-breaking 8,710 students of color enrolled in 2018. Students of color at DePaul account for 39 percent of the university’s total enrollment, 41 percent of undergraduate enrollment, 35 percent of graduate enrollment and 30 percent of law enrollment.

The university tackles diversity in a number of other ways as well. 42 percent of students are 24 years or older, 53 percent of students are female and six percent of those enrolled across the university are international students.

“Diversity is necessary for every higher education institute,” said junior Emily Gonzalez. “I’m happy to be at a university that works so hard to keep minorities in mind.”

13 Responses to “While freshmen applications spike, overall enrollment declines”

1. Scooter F on February 4th, 2019 10:45 am

“The number of admitted freshmen students rose from 15,506 in 2017 to 26,169 in 2018”.

26,169 freshman students were admitted, which is the same number of freshman students APPLYING in 2018. So there is a 100% acceptance rate. Please tell me that is a typo?! If it’s not a typo, then how does Depaul’s board not expect credibility issues to ensue?

2. Natasha Wanderly on February 8th, 2019 9:01 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

3. SmithDaniel on February 13th, 2019 8:46 am

Developing a spike needs to begin your first year. The simplest method to build up an abnormal state spike is to devote yourself to three interests. At that point pay to do my dissertation, when you’re composing your Common App or Supplemental, integrate the three into a clarification of your qualities and interests.

4. Himanshu mishra on February 18th, 2019 4:21 am

I have an article for you just from our website get the easiest way for windows 10 settings synchronizing process so just from here get help to do it online.

5. Sana Sheikh on February 18th, 2019 7:07 am

Such an amazing and fab article I have ever study and read for my economics thesis writing help and I have found many of my topics for my thesis. Thank you so much for the lovely content and I am very glad to see and visit all the blogs of this website.

6. Acacia hary on March 15th, 2019 2:57 am

I was overwhelmed by your thoughts on this issue. A deep and staged knowledge will be good for me. I have visited your website. It is very interesting and impressive. Thanks for sharing with us such a great article. I want to come again. Please update.
    vex

7. RobertKingston on March 15th, 2019 5:49 am

That will help with a spike, however, the most vital thing I figure you can do will be doing test prep and score high in state-sanctioned testing. Truly, schools like a spike on an application, yet to try and get looked at write my assignment you need a high test.

8. jajajaj on March 17th, 2019 4:48 am

High in proteins and fats, yet, low in calories Eggs form one of the best diets to lose-lose
    weight. weighloss fast

9. kakakak on March 17th, 2019 4:49 am

Kashmir
    This was Such A Good Post and Want To Travel To Kashmir Then if You can Check Out best i am Sure you will love it
    mamra badam

10. jahjahajh on March 17th, 2019 4:49 am

This was Such A Good Post if You can Check Out best i am Sure you will love it
    kesar price

11. faith on April 5th, 2019 9:02 am

Hello, My name is Faith am from USA ….. and I am very happy for posting on this blog on how a great spell caster helped me bring back the love of my life. I know there are lots of women like me out there who have done so much just to have back their Husband, I am here to tell you all to search no further because the answer is right here. I sincerely believe if there are up to five spell casters like DOCTOR WTAHA this world would be a better place, I contacted him and shared my problems to him and he gave me the terms and conditions, which I obeyed, it only took 3 days for my husband to come back home begging for my forgiveness. To cut the long story short. I am now living happily with my husband. Thanks to Dr TWAHA . Contact him now on email: drlregbeyen10000@gmail.com . Or reach him on whats app +2349038518881 or call him . He can save your marriage or relationships too.

12. Samantha L. on April 9th, 2019 10:00 am

Hmm, this sudden drop in numbers is really bothering. DePaulia is not the only school who suffers the same sentiment. The number question is, what causes it?
    Chris | https://www.hvacproscolumbia.com

13. Orela on April 11th, 2019 1:02 am

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL CASTER (Dr,Uzoya) FACEBOOK PAGE; FB.ME/DRUZOYASPELLTEMPLE
    It’s awesome and amazing. My name is Tony Orela am from the United States Getting my husband back is what i least expected and could never imagine. I and my husband have been married for five years and we have been living happily but all of a sudden he changed completely and turned away from me but i never knew what was going on, and i tried to ask him but he refused to tell me what the problem is, and as time went on he sought for a divorce. I was so worried and confused. During my search for a way out, a friend of mine who had similar problem told me about a great spell caster called Dr Uzoya who helped her with her situation. I never use to believe in spell casting in my entire life because i never thought it will work but i tried to give this man a chance and to my greatest surprise Drr Uzoya got me a positive result and he was able to get my husband back to me. After the spell caster did his work, i discovered that my husband fell so much in love with me unlike before. This spell casting isn’t brain washing but he opened up his eyes to see how much i love and needed him. Now i am a happy woman again and I don’t know how am going to thank Dr Uzoya so i am using this opportunity to tell anyone having similar problem to visit him on driraborspellcaster@gmail.com his telephone number is +1(301)909-8775

• While freshmen applications spike, overall enrollment declines

DePaul embraces the beauty of natural hair

A year after ticketing debacle, DePaul students are still willing to pay for extra tickets

Dragged into DePaul

‘Carry the Weight’ aims to spark discussions of sexual violence on campus

DePaul LGBTQIA+ Resource Center opens up discussion for sexual politics

The search for student commencement speakers

DemonTHON heats up DePaul Student Center

Second law professor files discrimination suit

Student was not robbed or kidnapped near campus, police say

Ugly sweaters and winter weather