Filed under Nation & World

Struggle for control of Venezuela returning to the streets

Opposition+National+Assembly+President+Juan+Guaido%2C+accompanied+by+his+wife+Fabiana+Rosales+and+his+20-month-old+daughter+Miranda%2C+listens+to+a+reporter%27s+question+during+a+news+conference+outside+their+apartment%2C+in+Caracas%2C+Venezuela%2C+Thursday%2C+Jan.+31%2C+2019.+

Opposition National Assembly President Juan Guaido, accompanied by his wife Fabiana Rosales and his 20-month-old daughter Miranda, listens to a reporter's question during a news conference outside their apartment, in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019.

Fernando Llano | AP

Fernando Llano | AP

Fernando Llano | AP

Momentum is growing for Venezuela’s opposition movement led by lawmaker Juan Guaido, who has called supporters back into the streets for nationwide protests Saturday, escalating pressure on embattled President Nicolas Maduro to step down.

A defiant Maduro’s socialist government has called on its own loyalists to flood the streets waving flags to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Bolivarian revolution launched by the late Hugo Chavez.

The dueling demonstrations will play out amid a political standoff in its second week of heightened tensions — and with the potential to spark violent clashes between the opposition and security forces.

Guaido has turned down offers from the presidents of Mexico and Uruguay to negotiate with Maduro. In a letter Guaido urged both presidents to back Venezuela’s struggle, saying to remain neutral aligns them with Maduro.

“At this historical moment that our country is going through, to be neutral is to be on the side of the regime that has condemned hundreds of thousands of human beings to misery, hunger and exile — including death,” he said.

Guaido declared himself interim president last week before tens of thousands of cheering supporters and vowed to end Maduro’s “dictatorship.” His claim to the presidency is backed by the United States and some two dozen other nations.

The opposition seeks to usher in a transition by holding democratic elections, Guaido said in the letter to Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez and Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.

The United States has also rejected the offers from Mexico, Uruguay and the Vatican to mediate a dialogue.

Vice President Mike Pence on Friday met with exiled Venezuelans in Miami, reassuring them the Trump administration would continue to weaken Maduro.

Brynn Anderson | AP
Vice President Mike Pence reaches out to shake the hand of a Venezuelan exile during a discussion on the political crisis in Venezuela with community leaders in Doral, Fla., on Friday.

“This is no time for dialogue,” Pence said at a church, prompting loud cheers from the Venezuelan exiles. “It is time to end the Maduro regime.”

President Donald Trump’s national security adviser John Bolton tweeted Thursday that Maduro and his top advisers should retire to “a nice beach somewhere far away from Venezuela.” Bolton’s talk turned tougher Friday in an interview with conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt in which he warned that it could be a beach area more like Guantanamo.

Maduro remains dug in, blaming the White House for openly backing what he calls a coup to remove him from power and exploit his country’s vast oil wealth. He retains support from powerful allies, including Russia and China, but is growing increasingly isolated as more nations back Guaido.

Maduro on Friday continued a show of might as commander-in-chief that has seen him crisscross Venezuela to oversee military exercises as he vows to defend his socialist government no matter the cost.

“We’re in a historic battle,” Maduro told several hundred troops standing in formation around armored vehicles. “We’re facing the greatest political, diplomatic and economic aggression that Venezuela has confronted in 200 years.”

The military’s top leadership is backing Maduro, though analysts warn that rank-and-file troops frustrated by their country’s economic and humanitarian crisis may not share that unwavering loyalty.

The opposition’s street protests planned for Saturday are the second such mass action this week. Guaido led a peaceful demonstration Wednesday with residents stepping out of their homes and workplaces for two hours. Last week, street protests turned violent in days of unrest that killed nearly three dozen people in clashes with government security forces.

Meanwhile, a prominent opposition lawmaker called on a group of European Union and Latin American countries to support Maduro’s ouster — without negotiations.

An “international contact group” announced Thursday by the EU’s top diplomat, Federica Mogherini, “should help to cease the usurpation of power by Maduro and establish a transitional government until new elections,” said Francisco Sucre, who heads the international committee of the opposition-led National Assembly.

“There is no possible discussion here. Maduro has to leave,” Sucre told The Associated Press in Madrid, where he wrapped up a three-day European tour to enlist support for Guaido.

The European Parliament has called on the EU’s member states to recognize Guaido as interim president. The socialist government of Spain, which has strong historic, cultural and economic ties to Venezuela, has said it will do so on Monday if Maduro doesn’t call a general election by Sunday.

“Power is evaporating from Maduro’s hands with the passing of the hours,” Sucre said. “We have been contacted by diplomats across Europe who are ready to take a step forward, but they are waiting for the right moment.”

Meanwhile, California-based Chevron Corp. said its operations in Venezuela will continue normally for the “foreseeable future” despite newly imposed U.S. sanctions on Venezuelan state-owned oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA.

Chevron has four joint-venture operations for exploration and production with PDVSA, as the Venezuelan company is known. The Trump administration has banned U.S. companies from doing business with PDVSA but allowed a six-month grace period for those with ongoing operations in the South American country.

“For the foreseeable future, we feel like we can maintain a good stable operation and a safe operation on the ground in Venezuela,” Chevron CEO Michael Wirth said Friday in a conference call with Wall Street analysts.

Chevron’s refining operations in the U.S. are well-prepared to handle an expected disruption of Venezuelan crude supply due to the sanctions, Wirth said, adding that Chevron had a contingency plan in anticipation of the sanctions and has alternate sourcing.

4 Responses to “Struggle for control of Venezuela returning to the streets”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 5th, 2019 1:20 am

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

2. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 8th, 2019 9:03 pm

3. Himanshu mishra on February 18th, 2019 4:19 am

As we know that most of the people were getting bored in their free time so just from our website http://mahjongfreegames.online/dimensions play mahjong dimensions online without any pay and signup.

4. moore on April 15th, 2019 5:56 am

Hello all my viewers My name is Moore from USA!I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I won the euro million mega jackpot. I am a woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams come through when I email Dr clement. and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I won. But I never know that winning was not so easy like that until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very powerful of casting any kind of spell gambling spell,so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win seven million Dollar. Dr. clement truly you are the best you make me won seven millions dollar through lottery.I am so very happy to meet you dr, I will be forever be grateful to you dr. Email him for your own winning lottery numbers allmightbazulartemple@gmail.com or you can call him for your own help to win big money today/whatsapp +2347051758952 post by moore from (USA am from Florida spring Hill for reading.he can also help to cure any kind of disease or getting your ex back like, Dr clement can cure all kind of disease with my herbal medicine is nice dr or getting your ex back like 1 cure your cancer cure 2 cure your diabetes cure 3 cure your hepatitis disease 4 cure your herpes 5 cure your warts 6 cure your HPV 7 get your ex back 8 pregnancy herbal medicine penis enlargement

• Struggle for control of Venezuela returning to the streets

Nation & World

Mueller report released

Nation & World

Latest IMF forecast points to slowing global growth, trade tensions

Nation & World

Trump foreign aid cuts to Central America exacerbating ‘cycle of despair’

Nation & World

Comedian headed for landslide victory in Ukraine election

Nation & World

Explosions kill at least 138 in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday

Nation & World

Ukrainian presidential elections, round two: Volodymyr Zelenskiy vs. Petro Poroshenko

Nation & World

Yellow vest anger burns in France, fueled by Notre Dame fire

Nation & World

Trump tried to seize control of Mueller probe, report says

Nation & World

Young woman ‘infatuated’ with Columbine is found dead

Nation & World

Catastrophic fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris