Nonprofit tackles racial issues on campus and beyond

March 4, 2019

Annalisa Baranowski | The Depaulia

Annalisa Baranowski | The Depaulia

Annalisa Baranowski | The Depaulia

Nonprofit group Black Girls Break Bread held a two-day event last Tuesday and Wednesday focused on navigating race and gender at DePaul and beyond.

Black Girls Break Bread was founded in October 2016 by Jessica Davenport-Williams, Jazzy Davenport-Russ and Khadija Warfield for the purpose of uplifting, empowering and inspiring black women and girls in the Chicagoland area.

Black Girls Break Bread achieves this by creating safe spaces that encourage engagement and intellectual discourse.

“[We] offer opportunities for intergenerational conversation, definitely on college campuses, but we also visit middle schools, high schools, as well as [other] communities within the Chicagoland area,” Davenport-Williams said.

The event was the third that the group has hosted at DePaul, but it was the first two-day event they’ve done here.

Tuesday’s event began with a hot Mexican meal and a discussion about triggers.

“For me, one of my triggers is when there are white women who try to compare their journey or experience to that of black women,” said one woman in attendance. “Intersectionality is a thing. I can never separate my being black from my being a woman.”

The rest of the conversation was filled with anecdotes about white people, in particular DePaul students and faculty, overlooking or or taking up space over black women.

Even in classes focused specifically on black women or the Black Lives Matter movement, there were stories of white people speaking over black women. There were recurring themes of feeling invisible, unseen or unheard, and also feeling painfully visible due to being a minority at a predominantly white university.

“Is it because I’m a woman or because I’m black?” an attendee asked of the discriminations she faces.

The sentiment of black women being silenced or excluded when discussing social justice occurs in practice, as well. The modern feminist movement has been critiqued by man black feminists for being exclusion of women of color, labeling the movement “white feminism.”

Later, the women discussed feeling the need to prove oneself, advocating for oneself and the concept of “taking the high road.” Finally, Davenport-Williams and Davenport-Russ asked the young women in the room what they needed from DePaul.

While the following discussion of campus resources was useful, Black Girls Break Bread goes beyond DePaul.

“We’ve worked in various communities in the South and West Sides, so communities like Roseland and Austin and South Shore, to create that intergenerational safe space with black women and girls there,” Davenport- Russ said. “We’ve also worked with Elevated Chicago to advocate for transit equity.”

While DePaul is often praised for being a diverse institutions, statistics on the university suggest otherwise. 50% of students enrolled at DePaul are white, making DePaul a predominantly white institution.

Zeph Kaffey, a physics major at DePaul, was at Tuesday’s meal, following encouragement from her sister to attend.

“This is actually my first time coming to one of these meetings,” Kaffey said. “I thought it would be good for me to come since [my sister] had a really good experience. Attending a predominantly white school, there’s not a lot of safe spaces for someone like me, who is black and who is a woman… and I can’t really separate those identities. It’s hard finding spaces where I can speak with other people who have insight on what living in this identity means.”

This is precisely why the group Black Girls Break Bread was created, according to Davenport-Russ.

“As black women and girls we have a unique experience at predominantly white institutions, and just in America,” Davenport-Russ said. “It’s important for us to get together and unpack our experiences so that we don’t feel like we’re the only ones dealing with and navigating challenges.”

While validation is important, Davenport-Russ also sees the importance in sharing each other’s successes, too.

“[It’s important] to share our successes together,” says Davenport-Russ. “It’s important for us to get together and have some black girl time.”

7 Responses to “Nonprofit tackles racial issues on campus and beyond”

1. Please Remove This Article on March 4th, 2019 3:18 pm

This is just plain… bad.

There are grammatical errors littered throughout the article. There were entire sentences I couldn’t understand. It’s simple errors, which makes me wonder if anyone reads the article before it’s published? I mean even if the author would read it once before publishing she/he should catch the glaringly obvious errors.

Beyond the fact that a college student displays the writing and editing skills of a 5th grader… the article makes no sense. Your title is “Nonprofit tackles racial issues on campus and beyond.” WHAT ISSUES? You don’t mention a single issue. Your entire observation of this group is that it serves as a space for frustrated students to vent. That doesn’t demonstrate an issue or how it’s being tackled! Having a predominantly white campus is not an issue in and of itself! Are there opportunities for jobs and programs that minority students don’t get to take advantage of over their white peers? Is there discrimination when it comes to administration and professor hirings that make the staff non-representative of the school’s student body? These are real issues! This article serves as a joke and distracts from actual and pressing issues of discrimination and race on our Campus and around our country.

The article title is misleading and it should be changed.

2. ann earnis on March 5th, 2019 8:07 pm

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST WISDOM CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +2348124644470

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from north carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail.com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470 …..

3. The Truth on March 7th, 2019 1:13 pm

Isn’t this just more blame whitey gibberish?

Nobody is trying to “silence” you on the issues of “social justice” but it’s going to be a hard sell to convince normal people that they should be OK with being robbed or punched in the face by Mike Brown.

Oh, and according to the 2010 US census 73% of the US is white, so if only 50% of your student body is white then white people are actual the demographic that’s under represented.

4. john danilla on March 10th, 2019 5:36 am

I am John Danilla from UK( northern ireland), i want to share a
    testimony on how a powerful spell caster cured my HIV disease, i was
    diagnosed of this disease, in the year 2009, last week i saw a testimony on
    Dr.Akioya on how he cured an HIV patient, so i contacted him through phone
    and he asked me to email him, which idid, so he told me that all my
    problems is over and then he decided to do an healing spell spell for me so
    after he finished it, he told me to wait for just 24 hours and then i
    should go for a test, so i really did as he had said, so my greatest
    surprised when i went to the hospital to go for an HIV test, the Medical
    doctor diagnosed that, i am now HIV negetative at first i was amazed and
    now i have come to realise that this spell caster Dr. Akioya is a very
    powerful one and a real spell caster. So viewers of this should please join
    me in my celebration for i am the happiest man on earth today and if you
    want to contact him, you can do this via his email
    (drakioya17spellhome@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp him
    +2348105257464.

5. Olivia Jayden on March 18th, 2019 10:44 am

Am here to testify of the miraculous work of a great traditional doctor called DR. Osasu..I have been suffering from herpes since last 2 years with my Husband but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine made by Dr. Osasu the great healer, I was browsing the Internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr. Osasu cure her from Herpes Disease. I quickly contacted him to get the cure and today i am now free from the Virus, I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so’ people out there kindly contact this great doctor on his email address please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine .once more contact him now +2347064365391 Dr. Osasu can prepare Herbal medicine for all kind of disease. HIV. CANCER. HEPATITIS B .DIABETES. COLD SORES. Syphilis. HBV, HPV, STD’s And many more. contact Dr. JOHN to get your CURED EMAIL>> drosasu25@gmail.com OR CONTACT WHATSAPP +2347064365391

6. Daniel Bohm on March 18th, 2019 5:12 pm

HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Osasu
    My name is Rosemarie Williams, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I’m not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. Osasu , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I’m still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn’t conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: drosasu25@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now: +2347064365391

7. Lesie Gunoz on March 21st, 2019 12:57 pm

God bless Dr. Myron for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HIV. out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr. Myron, how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 8 days later i was cured from HIV/HERPES,thank you drmyronherbaltemple@gmail.com Dr Myron ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SIR
    Dr Myron cure the flowing virus, call/text his united state branch on +12017491958 or add his Africa branch on whatsapp and call +2348158836673

1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure
    3 ringing ear
    4 herpes cure
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Hiv
    8 get your ex back
    9 pregnancy herbal medicine
    10 prostate enlargement
    11 Hepatitis B

The DePaulia • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in