DemonTHON heats up DePaul Student Center

Dancers stand on the light up floor. DemonTHON’s dance marathon requires dancers to be standing for 24 hours. Amy Do / The DePaulia

From Friday to Saturday, DePaul students shook up the Student Center for a charitable cause.

DemonTHON, founded in 2011, is an annual 24-hour dance marathon in which participants raise money for Lurie Children’s Hospital. The marathon is completed in two 12-hour shifts, in which donors pledge money for every hour danced by their participant.

This year, participants raised a total of $200,848.08. In addition to the dance marathon, there were speeches from families of children treated by Lurie Children’s Hospital, describing how the hospital helped their children.

This year’s DemonTHON was adjusted in terms of location. While usually held in McGrath Arena, the event took place on the second floor of the Lincoln Park Student Center, in order to accommodate the DePaul Men’s Basketball CBI Championship Series game.

DemonTHON directors dance the morale dance on stage. The morale dance was choreographed by Claire Black, Morale Director, and is set to a mashup of vines and popular songs. It is played every hour and is designed to keep dancers on their feet. Amy Do / The DePaulia

Dancers close their eyes while listening to a motivational speech from Dianna Kurns, a staff member from Lurie Children’s Hospital, and urged dancers to reflect on their privilege and health. Amy Do / The DePaulia

Lead singer Isabel Hajjar, a freshman at New Trier High School, stands with guitarist Emma Langas, a sophomore at Glenbrook South High School, and thanks all the participants and people who donated for the DemonTHON on Friday at the Student Center. Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia