Filed under Arts/Life, Music

Lollapalooza lineup leaves much to be desired

On the first four days of August, Chicago’s Grant Park looks to attract many in its 15th annual Lollapalooza music festival, but the majority of DePaul students are not attracted to it. With the lineup of acts now released, students have expressed diverse feelings toward deciding whether to go.

This year’s lineup provides a wide array of genres with rap, pop and a fair amount of electronic dance music, EDM. The headliners are as follows: Childish Gambino, Ariana Grande, Twenty One Pilots, The Strokes, Tame Impala, Flume, The Chainsmokers and J Balvin.

Lollapalooza is one of the biggest and more highly touted festivals not only in Chicago but the entire country, reeling in over an average of 150,000 people each year. The anticipation for the festivals act lineup are high, and college students are the most emotionally inclined to react to it.

“If I were to use one word to describe this year’s headliners: Yuck,” said senior Matt Melemseter of Radio DePaul Sports, who has a attended the festival a couple of times and didn’t show any surprise expressing disgust toward the lineup.

Melemseter concludes his disgust by shedding light on the lineup.

“A lot of the smaller acts should be paid attention to,” he said.

The smaller acts — considered to not be the headliners — include 21 Savage and Lil Wayne, and Shaquille O’Neal is DJing.

Looking to attend for the fourth straight year, unior John Cotter, Radio DePaul Podcast Host and Producer and music advocate, shared his thoughts on this year’s Lollapalooza.

“Each year it gets more fun, and I always have had a great time. Though the lineup we have here, the headliners are a mixed bag. For example, Childish Gambino would be someone I would see, along with Tame Impala. But then you have the Chainsmokers, J Balvin, Ariana Grande, Twenty One Pilots. They are reaching much younger demographics every year.”

In the past decade, tendencies have shown when Lollapalooza tickets go on sale, they sell out very quickly. Four-day passes specifically went on sale in March and have yet to sell out.

Cotter offered a bit of advice for those looking to attend the festival.

“Even now the four days aren’t sold out, and usually, they sell out within an hour,” he said. “For this specific year, get a one-day pass, because looking at this lineup it is too preferential. Lollapalooza needs to stop trying so hard to appeal to everyone.”

Four-year Lollapalooza veteran and junior Hannah Lindenberg is strict about not going anymore.

“Zero percent chance of me going again, none of my friends go,” she said. The fun part of Lollapalooza is gone. It is so expensive now; even one-day tickets are $120. It is literally just 16 and 17-year-olds running around for four days.”

Lollapalooza’s main target market is younger generation individuals; making up for the majority of the 150,000 attending. The cost is not appealing, because to buy a full 4-day pass is over $400—not including any other expenditures. We may see a decline in some of the younger population.

However, this year the main issue with students is that of the festival itself.

“Almost every lineup is just as good as the last or the next,” Lindenberg said. “I think that they do a great job of picking artists who are good, but I still think if you are there for the music you would be going to see the artists on tour.”

The question is the worthiness of wanting to go to Lollapalooza this year. Especially if one has been going for multiple years, which fits the profile of freshman Alex Menczynski.

“There’s no point in going,” Menczynski said. “I don’t know why certain bands are headlining. Lolla is supposed to be more college-centered.”

With DePaul students seemingly booing this year’s Lollapalooza, there is now a much greater anticipation for anything else unexpected to happen at this year’s festival. Not only that, but this sort of reaction could mean Lollapalooza may want to change its approach the next time around.

One Response to “Lollapalooza lineup leaves much to be desired”

1. mofa singh on April 18th, 2019 10:21 am

• Lollapalooza lineup leaves much to be desired

DePaul grads follow rock ‘n’ roll dreams

St. Vincent’s DeJamz

The elusive path for arthouse film survival

As ‘Veep’ enters final season, Julia Louis-Dreyfus cements legacy fit for comedy royalty

Food & Drink

Kaathis brings flavors of Kolkata to campus

What’s Fresh on Climate Change

Lifestyle

Women in the ring

‘High Life:’ a touching and terrifying trip to space

Lifestyle

Zen and the art of glass blowing

New ‘Star Wars’ film promises ‘The Rise of Skywalker’