Blue Demons defeat Redbirds in extra innings

The DePaul softball team celebrates at home plate after the game winning run was driven in extra innings. DePaul defeated Illinois State 6-5 on Tuesday at Cacciatore Staduim Maria Guerrero/ The DePaulia

A winning atmosphere was in the air at Cacciatore Stadium as the Big East Tournament champion’s DePaul women’s basketball team threw out the first pitch before DePaul and Illinois State faced off on Tuesday.

After Illinois State forced extra innings in the seventh inning, DePaul managed to prevail in the end with a 6-5 victory over the Redbirds.

The game started with pitcher Krista Dalgarn hitting Illinois State’s second batter and threw 25 pitches in the first inning, but ended up giving up no runs to the Redbirds.

The Blue Demons started off right after Saturday’s hitting barrage. Maranda Gutierrez led-off by hitting a double to left field. Jessica Cothern then brought Gutierrez to the plate with a towering home run that came close to hitting the soccer scoreboard. That led to an early change for Illinois State, who pulled their starting pitcher before she recorded one out.

Morgan Greenwood and Kate Polucha continued the inning with another two hits before Illinois State was able to give up only two runs.

In the top of the third Dalgarn got into some more trouble by giving up a couple of hits and a run that was driven in by the Red Birds’ Riley Hale, which trimmed the DePaul lead to one run.

The Demons then got a huge boost from Alysia Rodriguez, who hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth and then a double the following inning that scored both Taylor Young and Angela Scalzitti to give DePaul a 5-1 lead going into the sixth inning.

“I was watching softball over the weekend and heard some commentators say stuff, Rodriguez said. “Just go back to basics and trust yourself because I know my teammates and coaches trust me.”

Illinois state was in no giving mood and came up with three hits the next inning and scored two runs to get back within two.

In the seventh inning the Red Birds put together some tough at-bats and Dalgarn was not able to close the game out. Natalie Halvorson came in to the game with one out in the top of the seventh, after Illinois State had scored another a run on a wild pitch from Dalgarn.

Halvorson was able to limit the damage and hold the Red Birds to only one more run in the inning, leaving two other runners stranded at the end of the inning.

After seven innings the game was tied at five and it was time for some extra-inning baseball.

The first full inning for both Illinois State and DePaul saw a couple of opportunities but neither team was able to capitalize on their chances.

“We actually don’t intervene a whole lot, we kinda put it on them, head coach Tracie Adix-Zins said when asked if anything changes in an extra inning game. “I think it’s huge for [Angela Scalzitti] to get that hit at the end too, just cause she hasn’t been doing as well as she would have hoped to be doing, so to have that kind of finish going into St. John’s this weekend, I think it’s huge.”

In the ninth inning the Red Birds were able to get one hit, but Halvorson shut the door once again to keep the score tied.

The bottom of the ninth started positively for the Blue Demons as Polucha hit a double. Scalzitti came to the plate with a chance to be the hero, and she stepped up in the big moment delivering the winning RBI.

In her at-bat she was able to hit another double just over the head of Illinois State’s left fielder, which led Polucha to come around from second base and give DePaul the win.

“We were kinda joking because it was getting cold out,” Scalzitti said. “We were saying let’s not go back out there, let’s win it now.” She added, “This win should really secure our confidence knowing that we are coming in off a win, off a good win, so just to attack and knowing that we can take three from St. John’s.”

The Blue Demons will now play their most important series of the year so far, as they take on the Johnnies in Queens, New York this weekend, with the winner of the series taking sole possession of first place in the conference with two more conference series to follow.

2 Responses to “Blue Demons defeat Redbirds in extra innings”

1. Olivia Hannah on April 19th, 2019 2:56 am

Hi everyone I’m Olivia Hannah and am here to share the wonderful work Dr Raypower did for me. After 5 years in marriage with my husband with 2 kids, my husband started acting weird and going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr. Raypower who help people with relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a love spell and within 48hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with other ladies and his with me for good and for real. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Call or WhatsApp: +14243308109…

2. mable on April 21st, 2019 2:28 am

.A GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER Dr,Uzoya HE SPECIALIZES IN RESTORING BROKEN MARRIAGES CONTACT HIM DIRECTLY ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE (FB.ME/DRUZOYASPELLTEMPLE)..What else can i say rather than to thank Dr, Uzoya who God used to reunite my marriage. Each day of my life, i ask God to bless Dr,Uzoya for he has made my life complete by bringing back my husband to me and for this reason, i made a vow to my self that i will testify on the internet to let the world know that Dr, Uzoya is a God on Earth. My husband and i had a fight for three days which led to our divorce. On this faithful day, i came across a testimony of how Dr,Uzoya helped a lady in getting back her lover. So, i contacted him and explained to him and he told me that my days of sorrows are over that my husband will come back to me within 48 hours for he’s going to prepare a spell for me. Could you believe it, my husband came home begging that he needs me back. Do you need any kind of help? Contact; (driraborspellcaster@gmail.com) OR call his phone number via +1(301)909-8775

• Blue Demons defeat Redbirds in extra innings

Softball

Offense goes cold for Blue Demons in elimination game

Softball

Never-quit mentality inspires comeback for Blue Demons

Softball

DePaul to face James Madison in the first game of the NCAA Regional

Softball

DePaul defeats Villanova 11-10 in the Big East Tournament title game

Softball

Senior day is bittersweet for Blue Demons

Softball

Perseverance helps Blue Demons win close games

Softball

DePaul makes easy work of Providence in double-header on Saturday

Softball

Blue Demons exceeding expectations in new era

Softball

Bases-loaded jam leads to nine-year relationship for DePaul duo

Softball

Art of the handshake