DePaul student government races go largely uncontested

Giselle Cervantes, left, and Landon Campbell, right, will serve as the president and vice president of SGA, respectively.

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Winning candidates in this year’s Student Government Association (SGA) election were announced Sunday in a largely uncontested race.

Many of the candidates this year ran unopposed. Anna Pierce, SGA’s election and community engagement coordinator, said that the lack of competitive races does not take away from the validity of the elections.

“In past elections, most of the positions have been bid on by returning members from student government,” Pierce said. “The administration from this past year was filled with many seniors and students that intend to study abroad next year, which resulted in a lack of returning members. This was a major reason for the lack of a competitive race. But this in no way takes away from the elections. Each person that applied to run or submitted a letter of intent to be considered a write-in candidate was more than qualified to take on a position in the organization. We were really impressed with the group of candidates this year.”

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia
Piper Law, the newly-elected Senator for Mission & Ministry. The position was previously held by Sidney Snell.

Despite the lack of contested positions, Pierce stated there was an increased number of candidates running for senator for mission & ministry.

“I think the biggest surprise we had was the large amount of interest there was in running for the senator for mission & ministry. In past years, we have had two people run for the position at most,” Pierce said. “This year we had three official candidates as well as multiple write-ins. Being an organization rooted in the Vincentian Mission, it was exciting to see that the student body was eager to work towards that goal and represent the mission positively.”

Giselle Cervantes and Landon Campbell were voted in as president and vice president, respectively, in another uncontested race. Cervantes stated that running unopposed gave the pair more time to fully commit to their campaign, and they were always aware of the possibility of a write-in candidate upset.

“I think running unopposed allowed us to focus on doing student outreach and listening to

student input in order to develop a strong platform,” Cervantes said. “We knew there was always the possibility that someone could develop a write-in campaign for the president and vice president ticket, and we still took campaigning very seriously even if there wasn’t another ticket on the ballot.”

Campbell said that the pair hopes to bring meaningful change to DePaul through their positions and that they hope to increase communication with the student body.

“We are empowered to represent each and every student on our campus,” Campbell said. “We plan on continuing the trend of great work from this year. It’s a two-way street though. We want the student body to communicate with us so we can know how to help. More student engagement equals more representation.”

Camila Barrientos, the newly-appointed senator for intercultural awareness, felt that her uncontested race took away from the democratic process of voting.

“Running unopposed was definitely easier,” Barrientos said. There was no physical person that posed a challenge to me. This was obviously a positive thing for me because I did not have to worry about the position. The negative was that I did not have to work as hard, I did not get to truly participate in democratic processes and I really didn’t have to do any convincing to the voters. Hopefully next year brings out more people; I’d truly like to take part in real campaigning.”

Pierce stated that she hopes the newly-appointed officials will carry the principles of SGA with them as they navigate their new positions.

“We do not take on these positions for self-righteousness,” Pierce said. “We take them on because we genuinely want to make the university a better place and to ensure the well-being and success of each and every student on campus. With that being said, our hopes for the newly elected administration is that they remain true to those sentiments and that they can continually make positive changes in our communities.”

One Response to “DePaul student government races go largely uncontested”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on May 16th, 2019 11:25 pm

heal from broken heart” my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn’t pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad, i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called DR.UNITY who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 11hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together again, DR.UNITY can help you Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com,Your kindness will never be forgotten.

• DePaul student government races go largely uncontested

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Discussion at DePaul free speech forum falls short of compromise

DePaul Faculty Council condemns content of Hill article, reaffirms academic freedom

21 years of Vincentian service at DePaul

EDITORIAL: DePaul Faculty Council made the right call

DePaul organization invites conversation on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

A conversation with DePaul Title IX

DePaul students stand against hate

DePaul Student Government Association candidates prepare for upcoming election