DePaul men’s soccer loses to top-ranked Georgetown

DePaul defender Jake Douglas goes back to kick the ball against Western Michigan. (Grant Myatt / The DePaulia)
DePaul defender Jake Douglas goes back to kick the ball against Western Michigan. (Grant Myatt / The DePaulia)

Despite a valiant defensive effort, DePaul men’s soccer was unable to hold off the No. 7/5 Georgetown attack as the Hoyas defeated the Blue Demons 2-0.

DePaul dropped to 4-6-2 on the year and 1-2-0 in the Big East, their third straight match without a win.

“Our preparation was good and our players played at a very high level,” DePaul head coach Craig Blazer said. “We’re disappointed with the result but we’re encouraged with our performance.”

Brandon Allen and Keegan Rosenberry were the goal-scorers for the Hoyas.

The Blue Demons came out in a defensive formation with Senior Art Garza, the defender-turned-forward, sliding back to the defense to give DePaul more cover defensively.

In addition to the initial defensive coverage, the Blue Demons created some good scoring opportunites early. DePaul almost took the lead in the 13th minute when Hans Wustling received a rebound at the top of the box. He set up his shot and went far post where it went just wide of the goal. Had it been on frame, the keeper was out of sight and likely wouldn’t have been able to make the save.

The Blue Demons came close again in the 21st minute after Garza sent in a cross that was headed towards goal by Jalen Harvey but was blocked. Alessandro Thomas had an opportunity for a shot on the rebound but it went over the bar and out for a goal kick.

Georgetown controlled the time of possession for the most part, but DePaul was able to stop multiple shots before they took off and only allowed three shots in the first half. All three of them were either off target or saved by keeper Mack Robinson.

“We were both trying to keep the zero and score the first goal and we did a good job in the first half of almost both,” Blazer said. “All of our best looks came in the first 10 minutes of the game and we gave ourselves a good chance.”

The visitors continued to control the possession in the second half while also ramping up their attack. They doubled their shot total from the first half and were finally able to put a couple goals into the net in the final 20 minutes of the match.

Georgetown finally broke through in the 72nd minute when Keegan Rosenberry fired a shot from the top of the box that snuck right inside the post and in for the score. It was his first goal of the year and it gave the Hoyas a 1-0 lead.

The Hoyas would put the nail in the coffin in the 79th minute when Allen was taken down in the box by Robinson and earned the penalty kick.  Robinson guessed the right direction and dove left, but Allen had too much power and height on his kick, putting the ball just out of reach. His ninth goal of the season put the Hoyas up by two, which would end up as the final scoreline.

Georgetown almost made it 3-0 in the 84th minute when Alex Muyl sent in a low cross that met the sliding foot of Austin Martz, but it sailed just wide. That would end up being the last good chance of the game as the Hoyas closed out the 2-0 victory.

Even with the loss, Blazer said he was pleased with his team’s performance, especially defensively.

DePaul next plays at 3 p.m. Oct. 15 at Xavier.

“Statistically, we did do a good job and the guys responded well,” Blazer said. “Now we go on the road, and we have to find a way.” to win on the road.”