DePaul women’s basketball preseason favorites for second straight year in Big East

The 2014 Big East media day on Wednesday brought some good news for DePaul men’s and women’s basketball from what they respectively built in the 2013-2014 season.

The women were unanimously picked by the coaches in the Big East to repeat as conference champions; garnering nine out of nine possible first place votes. DePaul returns four starters from the 2013-14 season, including senior guards Brittany Hrynko and Megan Rogowski. They won the Big East regular season title with a 15-3 conference record before winning the Big East tournament against St. John’s in March.

Hrynko and Rogowski were also selected to the preseason All-Big East team with Hrynko getting one of the four unanimous selections. 10 players were selected for the preseason honor.

On the men’s side, sophomore guard Billy Garrett Jr. was selected to the preseason All Big East second team, the only DePaul player selected. This comes off his selection as Big East Rookie of the Year in 2013-14 in which he averaged 12.4 points per game and finished with 93 assists on the year.

The men’s basketball team was picked to finish last in the Big East overall, predicting a repeat of last year’s campaign where they finished 3-15 in the conference.