SGA relaunches Covid-19 vaccine campaign with booster

AP Photo/Steven Senne, File

Dr. Manjul Shukla transfers Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine into a syringe, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021, at a mobile vaccination clinic in Worcester, Mass. Pfizer said Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2021, that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may protect against the new omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.

DePaul’s Student Government Association relaunched their Covid-19 vaccination campaign at the beginning of winter quarter with a special focus on the booster. The SGA campaign is encouraging students to receive their booster before the university’s March 1 deadline and reduce vaccine hesitancy overall.

The booster campaign will include a video series similar to their initial vaccination campaign, where members share why students should receive their booster dose.

DePaul is requiring all students to submit proof of their Covid-19 vaccine booster by the start of March in order to register for spring quarter classes.

“When we first launched, it was to simply get students to get their booster shot,” SGA Vice President Kevin Holechko said. “As Omicron became more widespread, it became something that we were heavily interested in doing. Now that the booster shot is mandated, it is important to show that every day students are getting their booster shots and that they are safe and effective.”

On SGA’s Instagram, students are sharing their reasons why they got their booster.

“DePaul Activities Board (DAB) holds big in-person events like Demon Jam and FEST, and for that to happen, having your Covid-19 booster shot is a great way to protect yourself and others,” DAB Vice President of Marketing Brianna Catalinotto said via Instagram.

SGA plans to collaborate with other on-campus organizations to promote the booster. This was critical to represent multiple aspects of the DePaul community.

“We believe by showcasing people outside of SGA, not only are we showing that people beyond SGA are taking part in this, but it is also a great way to strengthen our relationships with our campus partners,” Holechko said. “Lastly, by showcasing people beyond SGA, people will see this not merely as an initiative by SGA or a political stunt, but that this is something that is taking place across the DePaul community.”

SGA aims to provide students with accurate information about boosters. The campaign will also allow students to see their peers share their own reasons for receiving the booster.

Freshman Liam Elsea said he is appreciative of SGA’s efforts, and also that DePaul is requiring the booster to stay in person.

“It’s important to get legitimate information out to counter the vast amounts of misinformation that we see,” Elsea said.

Students can go to vaccine.gov to schedule an appointment or visit local pharmacies. CVS and Walgreens have locations in Lincoln Park and the Loop.

“We will also be showing students how to go and book their appointments and work to combat misinformation around the vaccines and their effectiveness,” Holechko said. “All of these things were done in our prior vaccine campaign, and we are so excited to continue working on this initiative.”