DePaul unveils new nursing scholarship funded by $2 million gift

Courtesy of Susan hadam Schoenhoz and David A. Schonholz.

Susan Hadam Schoenholz and David A. Schoenholz gave a $2 million gift to establish the Susan Hadam and David A. Schoenholz Endowed Scholarship in Nursing.

Alumna Susan Hadam Schoenholz and her husband David A. Schoenholz announced a $2 million gift to DePaul last week to support scholarships for School of Nursing students.

The couple’s legacy gift through their estate plan will establish the Susan Hadam and David A. Schoenholz Endowed Scholarship in Nursing, which will give recognition and financial assistance to DePaul students enrolled in the School of Nursing.

Hadam Schoenholz received her master’s degree in nursing from DePaul and served as a clinical specialist in education at Harvard Medical School’s Joslin Diabetes Center, as well as a clinical specialist in diabetes and pregnancy at Northwestern University prior to her retirement.

David Schoenholz formerly held several executive leadership positions at Household International, now HSBC Holdings and is also currently retired.

“I found DePaul’s nursing education to be outstanding as well as inspiring,” Hadam Schoenholz told DePaul Newsline. “Compassion, commitment and competence are intrinsic to the profession, and DePaul strives to instill all three in its graduates. We are glad for this opportunity to give back and make a difference for students and the people who will benefit from their care when it’s needed more than ever.”

The number of students that will receive this scholarship, as well as how much financial assistance will be provided to each, remains unknown.

“The number of scholarships and amount will be determined at a future time,” said Kristin Matthews, spokesperson for the university.

The couple’s donation and the creation of this scholarship comes as DePaul relaunched the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program this fall.

Connect with Erik Uebelacker: @UebeMMA | [email protected]