Blue Demon rundown: 4-21-14

Softball

In the midst of a 15-game winning streak, DePaul softball (33-8) picked up a couple of individual milestones this past week in their game against Illinois.

Softball head coach Eugene Lenti picked up his 1,200th win this past week in an exciting fashion when the Blue Demons earned a comeback 5-3 victory in the 7th inning. In 33 years of coaching, Lenti is the third-winningest active coach in all of college softball and seventh overall with a record of 1200-578-6.

Senior pitcher Kirsten Verdun also notched a milestone as she started her 132nd game, moving her into a tie for first place in DePaul history with current assistant coach Lindsay Chouinard.

Track and Field

Shot-putter Matt Babicz earned his second Big East athlete of the week award Thursday.

Babicz threw a career-high 19.09 meters at the Sun Angel Classic on April 12. Babicz also placed first in the premiere division of shot put, his eighth of the season.

At the Sun Angel Classic, DePaul in Tempe, Ariz., Xavier Jones and Mac Melto placed first and second in the 200-meter dash. Jones won with a time of 21.63 seconds while Melto ran 21.66.

Women’s Tennis

DePaul women’s tennis bounced back after losing twice to ranked opponents last week, beating Cincinnati 6-1 at home.

The Demons played host to the Cincinnati Bearcats April 12. In singles play, the Blue Demons thrashed the Bearcats, winning five out of six matchups in singles play and by winning two out of three doubles matches to claim the point.

The closest match of the day was when Patricia Fargas edged out Cincinnati’s Hannah Willie in a tiebreaker.

The 39th-ranked Blue Demons then took on the Marquette Golden Eagles in the regular season finale with a 7-0 victory over their Big East rivals.

Men’s Tennis

DePaul men’s tennis finished their regular season schedule with a 9-0 win over Carthridge Friday in Wisconsin. The Blue Demons were 9-13 this season.

DePaul took all three doubles points and the six remaining single matches. Senior Filip Dzanko beat his opponent 6-0, 6-2 in the widest match of the day.

The Blue Demons will compete in the Big East championships in New York April 24-27. They were 2-2 in the conference this year.

DePaul snapped a two-game losing streak with the win over Carthridge.