Former DePaul men’s basketball player Cleveland Melvin signed by the NBA D-League’s Erie Bayhawks

The Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League claimed former DePaul star Cleveland Melvin Wednesday, the team announced.

Melvin will join the team this week and will have eight remaining games to improve his draft stock for the 2014 NBA draft. Melvin was no longer enrolled at DePaul on Feb.10 for an undisclosed violation of team rules. He was suspended on Jan. 24.

“I am glad to be apart of the Erie BayHakws organization,” Melvin tweeted. “A lot of love and excitement around here. I am ready to help these guys out.” The BayHawks are the D-League’s affiliation of the New York Knicks.

The BayHakws’ head coach Gene Cross is a former DePaul assistant, having coached under Dave Leitao from 2002-2004.

The BayHawks waived Chris Smith, the brother of New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith, to open up a roster spot for Melvin. The team is 13-26 this season.

Melvin is ineligible to be called up to the NBA for the remainder of the year. He will be eligible for the NBA draft in June.

Melvin averaged 16.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in 20 games for the Blue Demons this season. He earned Big East rookie of the year in 2011 and is among DePaul’s all time leaders in scoring, blocks and rebounds.