UDPATED: DePaul women’s basketball clinches Big East Regular Season Title

When DePaul women’s basketball was voted to finish No. 1 in the Big East during the preseason, head coach Doug Bruno and his team echoed that they needed to earn it.

“Our team is about achievement, not celebrity. The fact that we were voted No. 1 represents an achievement by our players that were here last year and a year ago,” Bruno said. “And yet, it’s a preview. Our primary concern is how we review. In simplest terms, we talk about how it’s all about the reviews and it’s not about the previews. Previews are nice but reviews last forever.”

The Blue Demons now have something to review.

DePaul (23-6, 14-3) clinched the Big East regular season title Saturday with an 80- 65 win over St. John’s, and a little help from Marquette.

“Proud of my Players & Staff,” Bruno tweeted. “They are THE BEST!!!!! Go DePaul!!!!! Go Big East!!! Thanks Marquette!!!”

Brittany Hrynko scored 21 points and three other Blue Demons finished in double figures to avenge an earlier season defeat against St. John’s. After previously being upset at McGrath-Phillips arena in a 96-86 loss, DePaul rolled into New York and was in complete control throughout.

In the first half, DePaul went on a 13-3 run to extend their lead to 33-23. The Blue Demons went into halftime with a 43-36 advantage.

St. John’s (19-9, 12-5) battled back and cut DePaul’s lead to three, 43-40, at the beginning of the half. The Blue Demons, though, pulled away again with an 8-0 run. The Red Storm, who have now lost four in a row, couldn’t get within nine the rest of the game.

To clinch the regular season title, however, the Blue Demons needed Creighton to lose to Marquette. It came down to the final seconds, but Marquette pulled away with a 73-71 victory. Marquette junior Arlesia Morse hit two 3-pointers in the final minute to lift the Golden Eagles.

This is DePaul’s first regular season title since the 2004-2005 season, when they were still in Conference USA. The title is also DePaul’s first since moving to the Big East.

DePaul has won 12 of its last 13 games with the sole loss coming on the road against Marquette. They rebounded after with three straight victories, beating Butler, Villanova and St. John’s.

DePaul wraps up their regular season on Tuesday at McGrath-Phillips Arena against Georgetown.

The team clinches the conference title outright. A win also secures the No. 1 seed in the Big East tournament.