Number the Stars’ comes alive in DePaul Theatre School production

It is always a pleasure to attend one of the DePaul Theatre School’s children’s shows. They are unceasingly colorful, poignant and energetic. This winter, though, the stage adaptation of Lois Lowry’s “Number the Stars,” directed by Ernie Nolan and backed by a beautiful cast, surpasses its genre all together. It is accessible enough for children to enjoy and layered enough to indulge even the most weathered of audience members. The Theatre School’s newest endeavor is a triumphant treat in its entirety.

“Number the Stars” tells the story of the Johansen family living in Denmark in the 1940s at the height of panic induced by the Nazi regime. Despite the surrounding terror, the family is determined to help several Danish Jewish citizens flee the country in order to escape their dangerous surroundings. Though fearful, the young protagonist, Annemarie, will stop at nothing to protect her best friend Ellen Rosen and the rest of Ellen’s family. It is a profound tale that shows its audience in every moment that heroism surrounds us always.

From the moment you enter the Merle Reskin to the minute you exit its doors, “Number the Stars” will transport you. The talented ensemble that provides music throughout the show performs a series of songs that are both haunting and lively as the audience files in. Blanketing the back of the stage is a curtain of chairs and across its top, cream-colored clothing is strung. This quirky and stark visual feast sets the scene before the production has even begun; it is a testament to the lasting nature of the show. Somehow, it has an ability to exist beyond the realm of the stage. It makes its way to the audience before it has even begun and remains with the audience long after the cast has taken their final bow.

Though the cast is delightfully talented in its entirety, actress Alissa Sherwood shines as the young Annemarie. Her demeanor is simultaneously calming and invigorating. She never imposes her performance on the audience, but rather invites them into the world that Annemarie is a part of. Portraying a young character that audiences of all ages can relate to and be moved by is a difficult feat, but Sherwood masters it seamlessly. There is an enormous amount of joy in watching her role grow throughout the production, and an overwhelming sense of emotion when this growth culminates in the show’s poignant apex.

Actresses Erinn Fredin, who portays Annemarie’s sister Kirstie, and Alissa Walker, who portrays Ellen Rosen, also deliver standout performances. Fredin’s youthful comic relief provides a brilliant and meaningful contrast to Walker’s deeply profound historical and emotional role. All three actresses manage to enact a seemingly effortless balance between their parts. They all shine, though never overpower any of their counterparts; there is a true sense of camaraderie that binds the show on a deep level.

It is not often that one becomes completely lost in a production, but this winter, the Theatre School’s newest show provides the opportunity to escape into its realm entirely. “Number the Stars” is imbued with talent in every aspect of its creation and delivery; it is impressive both technically and intuitively. The production tells a tale of bravery and friendship that is hard to forget and reminds us that love provides a light that is impossible to extinguish in even the darkest of times.

“Number the Stars” will be at DePaul’s Merle Reskin Theatre Jan. 18 to Feb. 22.