DePaul men’s basketball falls to Arizona State 78-56

The men’s basketball team dropped to 4-4 on the season as it failed to stave off Arizona State Friday night at the Allstate Arena in the sixth all-time meeting between the two contenders.

The Blue Demons struggled offensively, converting less than 30 percent of shots from the field in the first half.

They did, however, keep the game close early, rallying an 11-3 run to tie the game early under the leadership of Sophomore Durrell McDonald.

“I thought he did an incredible job tonight,” said Coach Oliver Purnell. “He played hard, defended well and I thought he did the best job of guarding [Jahii] Carson all night.”

Arizona State’s Jahii Carson had one of his best nights of the season, scoring 23 points and registering 9 rebounds. He contributed directly to his teammate’s scoring ability with quick passes and rushes down the court.

Carson directly set up several second-half 3 three-pointers, which were daggers to the Blue Demons who found themselves down by 22 points in that half.

DePaul played ASU without senior Brandon Young, who sprained his ankle his last game against Oregon State last week. Young’s averaged 16 points a game this season and the team missed his scoring presence.

Young, who missed his first start Friday against ASU, could return against Florida Atlantic next week at home, Purnell said.

“He wasn’t feeling well enough to play,” Purnell said. “He seems to be doing better and could be back by next game.”

Freshman guard Billy Garrett Jr. led DePaul in scoring with 14 points, helping to stave off an ASU offensive attack. His ability to get the ball to Cleveland Melvin and Durrell McDonald set up plenty of chances to cut ASU’s lead, but the shots just weren’t falling for DePaul.

The Blue Demons hit only 2 three-pointers on the night. The Blue Demons look to bounce back against Florida Atlantic next Thursday at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont.